Cold Climate Folks ..... - Building & Construction - Page 2 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 10-19-2017, 08:18 PM   #16
Member
 
jlhaslip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 5,975
Rewards Points: 708
Default

Re: Cold climate folks .....


Pouring the footings/walls and leaving them exposed is not a good thing.
If frost gets to the footing level without heating the soil around them, it will heave, so if the concrete gets poured, make certain to take precautions against frost.

On more than one job, I have seen an electric water tank installed to circulate hot water through a hose embedded in the footing. Was cheaper than propane heat for the 4 months it was required.

i have also seen the results of not heating the footings ubder the same conditions and it was not pretty. Needed to wait until spring thaw to see the footings settle back down before continuing on the subfloor. Centre post pads were lifted 4 inches. True story.
__________________
Quote:
Short of cutting off a body part, the worst that can happen in woodworking is manufacturing really nice looking kindling. --- Quoted from lenaitch
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-19-2017, 08:23 PM   #17
Member
 
jlhaslip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 5,975
Rewards Points: 708
Default

Re: Cold climate folks .....


Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
In the Fraser Valley, "cold weather" is, what, almost freezing?
To come to Neal's defense, I have driven the highway from Hope to Vancouver during a blizzard and it is down right scary. Mostly because the cars and drivers are not familiar with real winter driving and continued to drive waaaaaaaaay too fast for the conditions without proper tires.

__________________
Quote:
Short of cutting off a body part, the worst that can happen in woodworking is manufacturing really nice looking kindling. --- Quoted from lenaitch
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-19-2017, 08:37 PM   #18
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 28,944
Rewards Points: 1,544
Default

Re: Cold climate folks .....


Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
In the Fraser Valley, "cold weather" is, what, almost freezing?
.
metric 5* sounds cold.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-19-2017, 08:46 PM   #19
Usually Confused
 
lenaitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,345
Rewards Points: 246
Default

Re: Cold climate folks .....


Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
To come to Neal's defense, I have driven the highway from Hope to Vancouver during a blizzard and it is down right scary. Mostly because the cars and drivers are not familiar with real winter driving and continued to drive waaaaaaaaay too fast for the conditions without proper tires.

You just described most of Southern Ontario - pretty much any time of the year!

Quote:
metric 5* sounds cold.
That's when I'm thinking of putting my m/c away!! (actually I pretty much draw the line at 10*C but have ridden in 3*C and snow - when you're 500k away from home, whatrya gonna do)
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:52 PM   #20
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 28,944
Rewards Points: 1,544
Default

Re: Cold climate folks .....


Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
To come to Neal's defense, I have driven the highway from Hope to Vancouver during a blizzard and it is down right scary. Mostly because the cars and drivers are not familiar with real winter driving and continued to drive waaaaaaaaay too fast for the conditions without proper tires.

We have one section that gets closed down when the snow blows it is just a white out. You don't notice it till you are in it at 100 kph. If you keep going you hit some one, if you slow down some hits you. Never ends well.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:09 PM   #21
Member
 
jlhaslip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 5,975
Rewards Points: 708
Default

Re: Cold climate folks .....


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
We have one section that gets closed down when the snow blows it is just a white out. You don't notice it till you are in it at 100 kph. If you keep going you hit some one, if you slow down some hits you. Never ends well.
In January, there was an inch of inch on the roadway, grass showing at the side of the road and a car on its roof. About 6 years ago. The truck I had was equipped with winter (studded) tires and had no problem at 80 kliks but the idiots were passing me sideways. Crazy.
Between Chiliwack and Abbotsford I counted 37 vehicles abandoned..
__________________
Quote:
Short of cutting off a body part, the worst that can happen in woodworking is manufacturing really nice looking kindling. --- Quoted from lenaitch
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:33 PM   #22
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 28,944
Rewards Points: 1,544
Default

Re: Cold climate folks .....


Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
In January, there was an inch of inch on the roadway, grass showing at the side of the road and a car on its roof. About 6 years ago. The truck I had was equipped with winter (studded) tires and had no problem at 80 kliks but the idiots were passing me sideways. Crazy.
Between Chiliwack and Abbotsford I counted 37 vehicles abandoned..
Yup, the limit is 110 so 120 is the normal in all kinds of weather.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cold Air Supply Design Beepster HVAC 4 10-28-2012 07:06 PM
Trickle of Cold Water Pioneer Bathtub Faucet egawrons Plumbing 0 10-25-2012 12:24 PM
Warm Water out of Cold Water Outlet mb0709 Plumbing 9 08-26-2012 01:59 PM
Cold Climate Duct Work rhysup HVAC 10 04-12-2012 07:55 AM
Cold air return questions ekulrenlig HVAC 19 10-09-2009 02:44 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts