Code For A Fireplace Hearth? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2015, 09:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,930

Code for a fireplace hearth?

This question has arose;

With a masonry fireplace where the firebox is elevated 16" from the floor surface, what is the hearth requirement?

Is there a specific code for this?
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2015, 10:01 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 1,578

check with your local building department. also any manufacturers regulations must be followed
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2015, 10:20 PM   #3
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 426

All codes vary, and it depends on if it's a natural conventional FP, or a zero-clearance unit, but typically, the range is 16" to 20" from the opening for combustable flooring.........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (02-09-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2015, 11:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,930

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
All codes vary, and it depends on if it's a natural conventional FP, or a zero-clearance unit, but typically, the range is 16" to 20" from the opening for combustable flooring.........

Thanks something like I was thinking. It's not for me, but I told the friend he should check with his local building department to be sure.

It's a masonry wood burning fireplace with a typically overly large hearth that he'd like to remove. Probably like mine, the lower lip of the firebox is around 16" from floor level. Currently has tile floor but he's thinking he'll change to hardwood flooring.

From sides to flammable material isn't an issue, nor is top of firebox to mantle since there is none. It's just the distance from lower lip of firebox to floor that is of concern...

Thanks for the timely reply...
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:08 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,476

My masonary brick fireplace has firebox 10" off of the floor, the hearth is an 8" wide piece of blue slate, hardwood runs right up to the brick below the hearth, passed all inspections in MY town. But who knows if it would pass in another. Ask the person(s) who will do the inspection. Here it is the building inspector with a secondary look from the Fire Marshall. Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:01 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 432

Most manufacturers of both free standing and wood burning inserts recommend 16" out from the door but there are a few that recommend 24".
funflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:39 PM   #7
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktkelly View Post
Thanks something like I was thinking. It's not for me, but I told the friend he should check with his local building department to be sure.

It's a masonry wood burning fireplace with a typically overly large hearth that he'd like to remove. Probably like mine, the lower lip of the firebox is around 16" from floor level. Currently has tile floor but he's thinking he'll change to hardwood flooring.

From sides to flammable material isn't an issue, nor is top of firebox to mantle since there is none. It's just the distance from lower lip of firebox to floor that is of concern...

Thanks for the timely reply...

Just to be sure there's no confusion, the height of the raised hearth is irrelevent. Not sure if that's what you're questioning or not, but it doesn't matter. The only thing to be concerned with is the width and depth of the hearth itself. Here's a link to a simple table from our code in WI that outlines the minimums. From what you are saying, it sounds like the opening is likely greater than 6 sq. feet, so the larger hearthstone dimensions apply:

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/cod...20_325/321.pdf

(Page 53, Table 321.29−1.)
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement