Cinder Block Mini? Cracking - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2016, 07:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Cinder block mini? Cracking

Hi all. I was walking around my house today and noticed this on the outer wall of my garage. It's just passed where the Water heater (which is in the garage) vents out. This looks scary to me. Looks like some serious cracking issues. Is this a foundation issue? Or an issue with the cinder blocks that surround the slab? There is nothing obvious going on inside the garage, or near, around, or anywhere inside the house really. All doors, windows and the like open fine. No cracking drywall or anything. It appears to be right at the point where the garage slab meets up with the house slab...or are these connected? There is approx a 3" difference between the garage floor and the house...which is why I'm guessing there are two different slabs. The Cinder blocks go around the main house slab correct? What is with the baby blocks? Seems like a crack waiting to happen. I'm really nervous I have some major foundation issues, but other than the cracks here, there's nothing to note. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Cinder block mini?  Cracking-20160802_174302.jpg   Cinder block mini?  Cracking-20160802_174248.jpg   Cinder block mini?  Cracking-20160802_174242.jpg  
texhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2016, 07:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,642

Re: Cinder block mini? Cracking

Is there any records available that the garage was added a few years after the house was built?

I really don't see a serious problem there that re-pointing wouldn't take care of.

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 08-02-2016 at 07:55 PM.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2016, 08:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

No, pretty sure the garage was poured when house was being built...that's how all the houses around here are. House is about 20 years old...if that matters. What is "re-pointing"?
texhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2016, 08:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 8,128

Re: Cinder block mini? Cracking

One good thing about foundations that settle, they do so slowly. As SS says, repoint it and see what another season or two does.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement