Chain Link Fence Help - 1 5/8" Male Gate Hinge? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2016, 09:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 42

Chain link fence help - 1 5/8" male gate hinge?

Never built a chain link fence, but looked up installation videos and guides and have a pretty good idea of how it's all supposed to go together. I've bought all the parts, save one - the male, or post gate hinge.

I'm using 1 5/8" posts, and they have the 1 3/8" female gate hinge, and the 2 3/8" male post hinge, but no one has a post hinge that fits 1 5/8" posts.

Am I doing something wrong? Are you supposed to use 2 3/8" posts for terminal posts? My fence is only about 50' long, so I thought I'd only need the smaller fence posts, so that's why I selected 1 5/8".

It wouldn't be a big problem, I suppose, to swap out my posts for the 2 3/8" ones, because I want them all to be the same size, but I'm wondering: Am I missing something? Are there 1 5/8" post hinges? if so, why does lowes and home depot not have them?

Closest either had was a 1 7/8" post hinge from HD, which doesn't make any sense - it's a post hinge that doesn't fit either post size.
pattyobrien3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2016, 09:53 PM   #2
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 7,658

Re: Chain link fence help - 1 5/8" male gate hinge?

Yes, you used a line post as a terminal or gate post and now can not find the proper hardware. No need to change them all, just the gate post. You are being overly critical by thinking they all post must be the same size. Take notice of any chain link installation you pass. You will see the terminal, corner, and gate post are always larger than the line post.

But if you want to keep looking here is fence mfg/supplier that I have had success with.
Hoover Fence Co
Yodaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2016, 01:12 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 42

Re: Chain link fence help - 1 5/8" male gate hinge?

Ok, that's what I needed to know. Thanks.
pattyobrien3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement