Cement Board Into Furring Strips ?? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2017, 03:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 124

Cement Board into Furring Strips ??

I need some help/advice on a project I'm working on - If this should be posted in a different section, please let me know.

I'm refinishing a 1/2 bath in my basement. The bathroom has 3/4" furring strips along the exterior wall and I wanted to attach hardieback or some kind of cement board along the bottom, about 48" high to support tile. After looking at the products available, I'm not sure how I can make this happen. The cement boards are a little less than a 1/2" and the screws 1.25" ... Is there a 1" screw ? Is there any cement board product I can attach to 3/4" furring strips. I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions - I cannot frame out the exterior wall, it's just not possible given the space the heating pipes that run above.

Thank you
JohnyFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2017, 05:21 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 8,606

Re: Cement Board into Furring Strips ??

Snip the screw or pre-drill the holes and go into the wall slightly.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2017, 06:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyFever View Post
I need some help/advice on a project I'm working on - If this should be posted in a different section, please let me know.

I'm refinishing a 1/2 bath in my basement. The bathroom has 3/4" furring strips along the exterior wall and I wanted to attach hardieback or some kind of cement board along the bottom, about 48" high to support tile. After looking at the products available, I'm not sure how I can make this happen. The cement boards are a little less than a 1/2" and the screws 1.25" ... Is there a 1" screw ? Is there any cement board product I can attach to 3/4" furring strips. I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions - I cannot frame out the exterior wall, it's just not possible given the space the heating pipes that run above.

Thank you

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Grip-Rite...DWS1/100162981

And

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-P...0594/202020474

Last edited by BIG Johnson; 05-29-2017 at 06:47 PM.
BIG Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2017, 08:26 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 1,578

if its a half bath why are you using concrete board ? you dont need concrete board to tile to if its not a wetting area.. meaning not a shower . regular drywall or greenboard is perfectly acceptible
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:30 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 8,606

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
if its a half bath why are you using concrete board ? you dont need concrete board to tile to if its not a wetting area.. meaning not a shower . regular drywall or greenboard is perfectly acceptible
Totally missed that.

Messy peeling?
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:53 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 124

Thanks for the replies everyone - appreciate it.

It's a basement bathroom - I know at some point there will be water down there. The basement had drywall before I gutted it and the backside was completely moldy - I definitely want concrete board as my base (if possible).

I've used the Locktite adhesives before and I know they hold strong, but not sure I would trust them for this kind of application.

I had thought about shortening the screws myself since it's only one wall that is an issue and it's pretty small - Do you think there is any issue with doing that ? That was my last resort if I could not find a better alternative.

Thanks a lot
JohnyFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cement board , durock , furring strips , hardiebacker