Caulking Around Shower Tray - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2010, 09:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Caulking around shower tray

I am trying to apply sealent around shower tray on top of the old one, just to prevent any leakage in future. But when the new layer gets wet, it starts peeling off. Can some one please advise what is the proper way of doing this job. Thanks
Adnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2010, 08:24 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

First scrape out the old, then apply the new.
Dairylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2010, 09:07 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adnan View Post
I am trying to apply sealent around shower tray on top of the old one, just to prevent any leakage in future. But when the new layer gets wet, it starts peeling off. Can some one please advise what is the proper way of doing this job. Thanks
If this is a typical fiberglass or plastic base, the tray has a 1" lip going up the wall. You could have the bottom tile/base interface totally uncaulked and it won't leak. The caulking is there for the ascetics. So if you want it done correctly, so it looks good. Do as previously posted and remove what's there. Make sure the area is completely dry and silicone(100%) caulk it.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2010, 03:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Hi Ron, thanks for the info, I didn't know about this 1" lip thing, I understand. I was actually worried about any leakage in the future and expensive repairs, I don't have to worry now, thanks. Please tell me also that is it the same with the tub also or its different, cuz my other bathroom has a tub.
Adnan
Adnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adnan View Post
Hi Ron, thanks for the info, I didn't know about this 1" lip thing, I understand. I was actually worried about any leakage in the future and expensive repairs, I don't have to worry now, thanks. Please tell me also that is it the same with the tub also or its different, cuz my other bathroom has a tub.
Adnan
Cast iron tubs have a small lip. Steel and acrylic tubs have about a 1" lip.
The caulking at the tile/tub or shower interface, keeps water from getting into the cervice under the tile. This will lead to mold growing. While water leaking behind the tub is highly unlikely, you want to keep this area sealed.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement