Caulking - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2018, 06:44 AM   #1
Klutz Extrodinaire

Rewards Points: 158

Caulking

So I was always taught that caulk doesn't stick to caulk and if you had a gap, rip it all out and start over.

I know that's true of silicone, but I was recently introduced to something I'd never seen before: butyl caulk. Is the above still true? If I want to touch up somewhere that butyl was installed, can I just squirt a little extra butyl on there, or do I have to dig out all the butyl that's there first?
TinyFargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2018, 07:55 AM   #2
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,784

Re: Caulking

A lot depends on what/how you are adding the additional caulk. I've recaulked voids numerous times without any issues. Where you can run into trouble is trying to apply a thin coat of caulking over the existing caulk.

Butyl caulk isn't used much today - what do you intend to caulk with it?
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mark sr For This Useful Post:
TinyFargo (07-19-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2018, 06:35 PM   #3
Klutz Extrodinaire

Rewards Points: 158

Butyl caulk was used to seal between a set of steel doors and the concrete foundation. There is a very small void in what was done. Access to remove the material is very difficult without making a much larger mess... which is why I want to try to supplement what's there rather than try to tear out the seam. That's why I was asking about the sealing of butyl to butyl. Why isn't it used so much anymore?
TinyFargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2018, 06:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 9,398

I took down some gutters at my mother's garage. They were sealed with a caulking that I believe was butyl. Certainly it was decades old, possibly original to the garage (>40 or 50 years). Caulking performed like it was put down the week before --- still tenaciously bonded, and extremely flexible and elastic.

As you noted, nothing will stick to cured silicone. I have never tried it, but have no reason to think new butyl would not stick to old butyl, so long as the old stuff is clean.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SPS-1 For This Useful Post:
TinyFargo (07-19-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
butyl , caulk , silicone , silicone caulk