Carriage Bolt Washers. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jimn01

Old 06-19-2016, 07:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 757

Carriage bolt washers.

Normally, with carriage bolts I use only ONE washer behind the nut because of the square area just under the head of the bolt requires you to use a washer much larger than the bolt diameter.

Now I'm wondering which is correct. Do I need to put a washer under the head of the carriage bolt as well. I will be using 8 inch long X 1/2" inch bolts through 6"x6" posts. Thanks for the information.
maddog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2016, 08:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 125

Carriage bolts are designed to pull the square head into the wood . You only use a washer on the nut end
jlhaslip likes this.
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimn01 For This Useful Post:
maddog1 (06-20-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2016, 08:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,912

Re: Carriage bolt washers.

This is why I don't use carriage bolts on decks, you get much more bearing surface with regular hex bolts and washers on both sides. With carriage bolts I find the head is too small to prevent the head from cutting into the wood, esp fresh damp PT.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChuckF. For This Useful Post:
maddog1 (06-20-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2016, 09:45 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 757

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimn01 View Post
Carriage bolts are designed to pull the square head into the wood . You only use a washer on the nut end
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF. View Post
This is why I don't use carriage bolts on decks, you get much more bearing surface with regular hex bolts and washers on both sides. With carriage bolts I find the head is too small to prevent the head from cutting into the wood, esp fresh damp PT.
ChuckF- I'm using the carriage bolts on some very heavy framing of a Post & Beam barn. Carriage bolts are needed because the finish siding of the building will be over the bolt heads so I need a relatively flat head surface. I can't get a flat surface with a hex bolt. But I do agree with you that hex bolts with a washer under the head will prevent the bolt from sinking.
maddog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:04 AM   #5
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

You can get a flat surface with hex bolts by countersinking the bolt head flush with the face of the post. Looks good, and it is much easier to tighten or remove a hex bolt than a carriage bolt after a few years, since you can get a wrench on both sides of the hex bolt. When I countersink, I use a forstner bit to make the countersink holes, large enough to fit a wrench or socket in place.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:22 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 125

A minor detail Daniel; to avoid any potential confusion do you mean counter-bore, not counter-sink?

Cheers
Chris

Last edited by spiragui; 06-20-2016 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Typo
spiragui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:08 AM   #7
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

Never really thought about it, but yes I mean counter bore.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement