DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Carport Construction

626 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  foro 
#1 ·
I am planning to build a carport, since I have recently put new roof and gutters on house and to save on cost on constructing carport. My thought is to just install next to gutter and have carport extend over house roof. There would only be about 14 ft of the carport extending over one corner of house. The house roof is 6/12. I am thinking of carport being 4/12. So, my thought is that the portion of carport extending the could be flashed so as rain would fall into existing gutter. Question on whether this is doable and a good idea?

#2 ·
#1, There's no location in your profile so no one has a clue what your snow loads are.
Not a great plan, the lower the sloop the more likely for it to not last as long and more likely to leak.
If your suggesting just attaching it to the rafter tails, then it's a really bad plan, attaching it to just the end grain like that is the weakest point.

#3 ·
Drawn plan would help. Your plan sounds like independently standing structure. As such, why not? Not sure what you mean by flashing but maybe you're not using right words? If house roof is not touched and rain would drain into existing gutter, carport roof will not be flashed to house roof. How much space between house and carport roof? At least 6" for me since I would want debris, branch and leaves esp, to not stay over the gap and gutter is easily accessible for cleaning and repairs. Any house roof work should be also easy enough, nailing, demolition.

If not tying the two roofs, why not separate them by a foot and skip overlaps?

#5 ·
It's worth noting that carports are also relatively inexpensive to maintain, and pull down if necessary. Often it will be even possible to move them. So, where a garage is a long-term and inflexible structure, a carport can save money in the long term by only being as permanent as you need it to be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.