Can I Convert My Shed Roof To A Gambrel Roof? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2016, 08:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 24

Can I convert my shed roof to a gambrel roof?

I've got a 10x12 wood shed that's currently seeing a good amount of damage to the roof, floor and lower T1-11 siding due to water damage. As I look into my options to repair various portions of it, I was wondering if it's possible to covert the roof to a gambrel style to gain some more space.

Currently, the front wall is about 7' high and the roof slopes down to a lower wall on the back side (about 6 feet high). My question/concern is, can I frame up the additional foot or so, attach on top of the back wall to level things, and then put the gambrel on top? I'm trying to avoid needing to remove and reframe the entire back wall of the shed, but will obviously do so if structurally the proposed design won't suffice.

Quick sketch of what I'm considering is attached below. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PSUlion01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2016, 09:16 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,350

Re: Can I convert my shed roof to a gambrel roof?

Can it be done yes, is it worth doing on a shed with rotting siding and failing floor?
Most common cause for these failures is the sheds to close to grade and no roof over hangs.
If you do go with the new style roof I'd suggest having trusses made for storage, they will have a wider bottom cord.
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2016, 09:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 620

pole barn or studded walls? 2X4 or 2X6?
landfillwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2016, 10:00 AM   #4

Thanks for the quick replies. A little more detail.

Shed has studded 2x4 walls. While there's damage, it's not nearly enough to scrap the shed and replace. A few hundred bucks and I'm good as new vs $2500 to replace it.

As for the water damage, a few things:
1) Shed was previously under a lot of trees that kept the area damp (no sun). In addition, leaves would collect around the base and hold a lot of water that led to floor and bottom wall damage.
2) Roof damage stemmed from tree branches that fell and damaged shingles and sheathing. Water damage ensued.
3) Current roof has slight overhangs, but again the location under the once-there trees amplified the water issues.
4) I plan to raise the shed a few inches when doing the repairs, in addition to rebuilding the pavers that surround the shed, and will make sure the drainage issues are resolved.

Thanks again!

Here's a pic for reference:

Old 06-29-2016, 06:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Can it be done yes, is it worth doing on a shed with rotting siding and failing floor?
Most common cause for these failures is the sheds to close to grade and no roof over hangs.
If you do go with the new style roof I'd suggest having trusses made for storage, they will have a wider bottom cord.

Thanks. So by wider bottom chord, are you basically referring to the joist that spans the walls and that would support the "loft" area? I would assume just check he span tables and use 2x6 or 2x8, though the weight up there would be kept light.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement