Can I Caulk Tha Gaps Between Tiles For Watertight Reinforcement? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 472

Can I caulk tha gaps between tiles for watertight reinforcement?

i have a small area over the bathtub that is tiled. The inner 90 degree wall corner gaps were culked to ensure watertight. Can I also culk all the gaps between the tiles (since it is not a big area) to help with the waterproof? Would this help prolong the life of the tiling?

Thanks
hohadcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2009, 04:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

Generally you grout the spaces between the tile. You can caulk them with a silicone caulk if you want, but I don't know how long it will last.
Back in the late '80's, American Olean had these 4x4 tiles set in sheets with silicone caulk. You would put up 9 or 16 at a time and silicone the spaces between the sheets. I never saw another company try it, so I don't know how successful it was.
I never had a call back on the 2 or 3 baths I did, so maybe it's okay.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
long island, NY

Rewards Points: 250

water isn't the only issue in the shower... cleaning and mildew are also factors. also, if it were to crack/fail, you want to be able to remove the stuff and regrout/caulk.

not too sure how caulk would hold-up to cleaners. Would soap scum come off? Also don't know how easily mildew would grow on it vs standard grout... finally, not too sure how to remove it if it were cracked?

You mentioned you already had a corner of your shower done that way.... if you know the answers to those questions, it would help your decision.....

hey, if a company in the 80's made silicone / tile sheets, it can't be too bad, right? On the flipside, maybe there is a minor problem with them, and that's why it was discontinued?

sorry, I'm no help, as you can see
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

I would consider looking into a a spray sealer. They sell it at tile stores and the depot. It seals the tile and grout--I am assuming there is grout there to seal.
TooledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement