Building "stop" Before Raising Wall On Concrete Pad - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2016, 08:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 87

Building "stop" before raising wall on concrete pad

I am going to raise a frame wall on concrete pad, what is a good way to build a stop so the wall doesn't fall over? I do not want to drill holes and anchor to the concrete.

Anchor bolts are already installed so I raised the whole wall with a few 2x' hopefully it can drop right in.

Any other tips that you can think of for raising a wall on concrete? Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2016, 08:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 416

Re: Building "stop" before raising wall on concrete pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen S. View Post
I am going to raise a frame wall on concrete pad, what is a good way to build a stop so the wall doesn't fall over? I do not want to drill holes and anchor to the concrete.

Anchor bolts are already installed so I raised the whole wall with a few 2x' hopefully it can drop right in.

Any other tips that you can think of for raising a wall on concrete? Thanks.
Have enough help on hand to lift the wall over the bolts and place it and have braces ready to go to temporarily hold the wall in place.

How big is this wall?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2016, 11:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 206

Generally you need another guy ready with a 10' or longer 2x4 to "catch" it or at least prevent it from tipping.

I've lifted hundreds of walls and this isn't really a problem unless you have wind. Depending on how long and heavy the wall is and how much help you have, you can hold it from the inside. As you are lifting, have some 2x4's ready and nail gun and nail 1 nail so it pivots once its about waist high, then as you lift the wall the 2x4 will help "stop" the wall from pushing back down. Have a some of these pivots on the ends so as you get it lifted, the boards are already in place. Its hard to reach 8' when you are in a hurry to brace up the wall hence is why you install them while on the ground extending opposite from the wall.
pcride is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2016, 02:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,768

You can't stand a wall while trying to slip several holes over the bolts. Something catches and it'll be too heavy and sledge hammering can damage the studs.
It's easier with double sill plates. Bolt the first and cut off at the nut. Recess the second and stand the wall using metal strap. 2x4 in the middle under the wall or nailing may bounce. Cut the wall studs to account for extra plate.

Last edited by carpdad; 08-16-2016 at 02:20 PM. Reason: last reminder
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:45 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpdad View Post
You can't stand a wall while trying to slip several holes over the bolts. Something catches and it'll be too heavy and sledge hammering can damage the studs.
It's easier with double sill plates. Bolt the first and cut off at the nut. Recess the second and stand the wall using metal strap. 2x4 in the middle under the wall or nailing may bounce. Cut the wall studs to account for extra plate.
I framed homes for 8 years and you don't need to do all that. Trust me it's easier than it sounds.

There is no mention how long and tall the wall is, or if it's 2x4 or 2x6 and how many guys they have helping.

In my crew with 4 guys we had no problem lifting 2x6 sheeted walls on bolts, sometimes you had to build the wall in 2 sections but lifting 20 or 40 feet of wall is easy to get it on the bolts. And all you do is lift the wall and if everything is lined up, the wall will slip over the bolts with no issues. Sometimes you need to pry the wall up and sledge it. Hammering the bottom plate doesn't damage it.

Go to YouTube and see how Larry Haun does it (RIP) he was the Norm Abraham of framing.
pcride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:32 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 526

Working alone with wall jacks; You build some three stud triangles in the dirt for a wall stop from top going over, with 2x2/steel pins anchoring to ground. When you lift the wall it plumbs against the angled A-frames and sits on the high bolts. Start at one end with a 3' crow bar to align and drop the plate on the slab after bracing each end with an inside diagonal nailed to a stake so there is a brace on each side of each end, add them mid-span after the wall is lowered gently (bar with block fulcrum) so as not to rack your shear sheathing out of whack. You should have the rafter/ceiling joists laid out on the double top plate before raising and possibly the WRB if no shear inspection is required. Short wall, no sheathing; one guy holds it plumb, other starts on one end with hammer handle as pry, don't stick it under too far or it will bite... when wall drops down.

Gary
Old 08-17-2016, 05:22 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,376

Actually just did that today, a 40' two bye six unsheathed and, then a 24', then a 16'. Cut the 40' in half. Due to issues with the way the bolts were set, we put the treated will on first, then drilled the holes for the bolts in bottom plate of the wall, six elderly guys stood the sections up, got them next to the pt, lifted up and dropped over the bolts. 1 1/2" washers, 7/8" holes, 1/2" bolts, plenty of room,no worries, no hernias. Triple window in one section meaning like 9' of 7 1/4" bye 1 3/4" lvl in one section....so not light. Prior to raising 16' two bye four braces on hand, Two bye six blocks hilti gunned into the slab to attach to. Up, plumbed in and out in very short order. ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:26 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 87

Thank you for the advice! It's a relative small wall, 2x6 wall 16ft x 8ft tall with sheathing installed but still super heavy. It'll be myself and my wife with no experience raising wall.

Raised the wall on a few 2x blocks so it's higher than the bolts to begin with, I regret not burying the j bolts deeper as it's like 3 inches above the concrete floor.
Got two wall jacks but never used it so don't know how it'll behave (just watched youtube vid, it seems easy but don't wanna underestimate it)

I'm going to build some 3 studs A frame as suggested to guide the wall and to stop from it going over. Will post pictures later. Thank you!

Last edited by Stephen S.; 08-29-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Stephen S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:35 PM   #9
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 872
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen S. View Post
Thank you for the advice! It's a relative small wall, 2x6 wall 16ft x 8ft tall with sheathing installed but still super heavy. It'll be myself and my wife with no experience raising wall.

Raised the wall on a few 2x blocks so it's higher than the bolts to begin with, I regret not burying the j bolts deeper as it's like 3 inches above the concrete floor.
Got two wall jacks but never used it so don't know how it'll behave (just watched youtube vid, it seems easy but don't wanna underestimate it)

I'm going to build some 3 studs A frame as suggested to guide the wall and to stop from it going over. Will post pictures later. Thank you!
That is going to be a heavy wall.

Have you already nailed the sheathing on?

If not don't. Nail the sheathing after the walls are stood.

Andy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement