Building A Deck - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jlhaslip
  • 1 Post By jlhaslip

Old 11-03-2017, 10:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 78

Building a deck

Good morning everyone,

I am in the process of building a deck. (my first deck actually). I have confidence I can do it but I wanted to get some opinion on my design first. So the deck will be 44'x14' with the 44' up against the house. I was curious do I need an extra beam/posts in the middle of my deck design? I do plan to put a "lean to roof/shed roof" on it in the future just not initially.

All posts are going to be 6x6's

Also here is what I want the floor plan to look like.

In the future when I put the shed roof/lean to roof on the deck I want to set the post directly on the deck and figured it would transfer the load directly to the post's under the deck.

Something like this:

but I am going to post wrap most of it.

Any suggestions/do you think my deck is overkill on the framing?

Thanks,

Last edited by 1QWK96GT; 11-03-2017 at 10:56 AM.
1QWK96GT is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2017, 11:07 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 6,276

Re: Building a deck

You can use 2x10 joists and you do not need the center beam just blocking between joists at 7 ft.
2 or 3 ply 2x10 beam can span 11 ft.
The picture shows a hidden beam where they have used hangers for the joist into the beam. If your code calls for rail posts to go into the framing, then you want the beam to be below the joists.
If you are building a room you want it level with the floor. But if you are starting with a deck you may have to drop it 6"
You want to remove siding to attach the ledger to the wall with a tar paper or something behind it. Then the galvanized flashing on top of that and behind the house wrap behind the siding.

All nails, screws, hangers, lag bolts flashing, post saddles have to be rated for treated wood.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
1QWK96GT (11-03-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2017, 11:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
You can use 2x10 joists and you do not need the center beam just blocking between joists at 7 ft.
2 or 3 ply 2x10 beam can span 11 ft.
The picture shows a hidden beam where they have used hangers for the joist into the beam. If your code calls for rail posts to go into the framing, then you want the beam to be below the joists.
If you are building a room you want it level with the floor. But if you are starting with a deck you may have to drop it 6"
You want to remove siding to attach the ledger to the wall with a tar paper or something behind it. Then the galvanized flashing on top of that and behind the house wrap behind the siding.

All nails, screws, hangers, lag bolts flashing, post saddles have to be rated for treated wood.
Thanks Nealtw! I was curious you said "2 or 3 ply 2x10 beam can span 11 ft." you mean between posts? I was definitely going to use staggered blocking. My question is now my 2x10 floor joists are spanning the full 14'. thats acceptable with the added load of a lean to/shed roof over head?

hopefully the middle of the deck is not too bouncy. (I do plan to use alot of staggered blocking).

If it helps I forgot to mention this deck is only 2-3 feet off the ground.

Thanks again,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2017, 11:51 AM   #4
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QWK96GT View Post
Thanks Nealtw! I was curious you said "2 or 3 ply 2x10 beam can span 11 ft." you mean between posts? I was definitely going to use staggered blocking. My question is now my 2x10 floor joists are spanning the full 14'. thats acceptable with the added load of a lean to/shed roof over head?

hopefully the middle of the deck is not too bouncy. (I do plan to use alot of staggered blocking).

If it helps I forgot to mention this deck is only 2-3 feet off the ground.

Thanks again,
We would laminate the beams and set them on top of the posts.
Most kitchens we build here are 14 ft 2x10s.
You show the wrap on the decking, that is an extra joist on each end for that.

This is how we would do it, you still have to check with your codes.

The bottom of the footings have to be at the frost depth for your area and size and thickness will be local code or by the condition of the soil.

The roof and walls will load on the outside beam and posts. you may get away with double joists on the ends for the future wall but you could put a post in the center of the ends to be sure it is good.
1QWK96GT (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 12:01 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 708

Review the decking layout and rethink the miters next to the house.

I doubt that the decking will space out to fit the miter properly, so plan on dropping those miters and continue those outer pieces straight into the wall similar to the centre piece.
123pugsy likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to jlhaslip For This Useful Post:
1QWK96GT (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #6
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
Review the decking layout and rethink the miters next to the house.

I doubt that the decking will space out to fit the miter properly, so plan on dropping those miters and continue those outer pieces straight into the wall similar to the centre piece.
I missed that.
1QWK96GT (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 02:09 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
I missed that.
On the Interwebs before your morning coffee? Must stop doing that.

Nealtw likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to jlhaslip For This Useful Post:
1QWK96GT (11-03-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 08:18 PM   #8

Last question. On the corners of this deck should I notch the 6x6 posts for the two rim joist's like pictured below? Or should I slide the 6x6 posts in so that they only are resting on the front outside beam? I plan to make the front outside the beam and rim joist basically like pictured below.

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-05-2017, 11:04 PM   #9
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QWK96GT View Post
Last question. On the corners of this deck should I notch the 6x6 posts for the two rim joist's like pictured below? Or should I slide the 6x6 posts in so that they only are resting on the front outside beam? I plan to make the front outside the beam and rim joist basically like pictured below.

Thanks for your help!
You will have to float that past an inspector. We would have putt the beam on the post and the joists would sit on the beam. If you did it my way you can then drop you handrail 4x4 in and frame around it to hold it in and support decking around it. Then when you add posts for roof you just cut the posts off at deck level and you new post will have support there
Old 11-06-2017, 04:32 AM   #10
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 4,406

Before considering any type of construction for the deck, I strongly urge you to find out what your municipality codes are. This information is usually available on-line.

You do not want to make all sorts of plans only to find out code will not allow some or all of it.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm," and the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:54 AM   #11
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 1,340

In addition to the other comments, here's some light reading for you to consider. Very helpful in deck construction. http://www.awc.org/pdf/codes-standar...Guide-1405.pdf
Old 11-06-2017, 08:40 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 297

Regarding your proposed decking layout:

If you are planning on continuous decking runs with no butt joints as shown in your diagram, you are going to need deck boards that are over 20' long. Those are going to be nearly impossible to find, and you'll pay dearly for them if you do manage to locate some. The longest decking you'll find commonly available is 16'.
red92s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement