Building A Covered Porch For A Sauna - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pckeen
  • 1 Post By pckeen

Old 08-30-2017, 12:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Building a Covered Porch for a Sauna

I'm planning to build a 13x8 Sauna on a concrete pad. I want to add, on the lake side of the Sauna, a 4' covered porch. The attached jpeg link shows the design.

My plan is to support the covered porch using three 13' 2 x 10 laminated beams, two of which would be mounted on a 2x4 framed wall at either end. The third beam will be a ridge beam for the roof.

What are your views - good design, or should I rethink my approach?

The beams will actually be cantilevered, with a 1' overhang at the back, and a 4' overhang at the front. My original plan was to build this without a triangle support, but I am concerned about whether the roof can bear the snow load. I'm also concerned about whether I need a tension tie between the two cantilevered beam, as I assume there will be outward pressure on the beams.
Attached Thumbnails
Building a Covered Porch for a Sauna-exterior-plan-long-side-towards-lake.jpg  
alozcarney likes this.

Last edited by pckeen; 08-30-2017 at 12:24 AM.
pckeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2017, 01:39 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 6,228

Re: Building a Covered Porch for a Sauna

Looks good...............
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2017, 08:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 8,142

LOL, saw your intro and had to laugh that the sauna had to come first.

With the sheathing on in your picture we can't see what the framing looks like behind it, like what is behind that diagonal coming down from the ridge beam?

An 8' span for the ridge beam might need some cross ties, which may be there in the design.

Check to be sure you can build towards the water, there are often setback requirements, mine vary from 100' to 300' and they have aerial photos to keep track of any new structures that pop up where they shouldn't, or trees cut or gravel moves, or rocks in the water moved, ya they watch everything up here.

Bud
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2017, 08:40 AM   #4

Thanks. If I dont build it first, I'll never build it. Inside the end walls will be diagonal supports, slotted in between the 16 inch on center studs. In the middle, no diagonal supports.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2017, 11:54 PM   #5

Well, the concrete pad for the Sauna is in, and my framing materials are being delivered tomorrow. Construction starts tomorrow evening.
Nealtw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement