Building Barn-site Work Completed But They Did Not Rent Packer For Pad... - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2010, 02:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Building Barn-site work completed but they did not rent packer for pad...

Hello,

Building a barn. Had to have backhoe guy come in and level pad site for barn. He told me he did not have to use a packer to pack the dirt and that its packed good enough. It has rained a few times and he ran over it many, many times with a dump truck full of dirt and the dozer,etc. I am putting down concrete. Will I have issues with the foundation? If so, can my concrete guy do anything to help with cracking down the road?

THanks
clueless in TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Cracking is controled by putting "control joints" (or cuts) in the slab. The closer the joints are to one another, the less likely the concrete is to have random cracks. Some guys try to put joints at 10' intervals. Really not close enough. I, personally, like to see them no more than 6' apart.

Last edited by Willie T; 09-10-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2010, 02:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Good to know. I have a few guys here working on something else and they tend to think I am going to have issues. They said that I will need rebar and steel in the concrete and 8" of concrete to not have problems. They did bring in alot ofi dirt but all in all it is probably 2ft high on one end and it starts to slope down to level.
clueless in TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Rewards Points: 844

This smells like a load of trouble, if you ask me. I don't know how you got away with it. Usually there's an inspection before you pour, and I'd imagine the inspector would have an issue with it.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aggie67 For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (09-10-2010)
Old 09-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 526

Cruise this site for re-bar, water ratios, pitting, curing, etc.: http://www.concretenetwork.com/concr...troljoints.htm

Gary
Old 09-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

If they removed dirt to level the site, there should be no need to compact the ground (unless they screwed up and had to add dirt to an area they over excavated). If they added dirt, it should be compacted. Driving a truck on it and a dozer will not adequately compact the dirt and especially not the complete area.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Now that we know they brought in "a lot of dirt", it is probably too late for much effective compacting. Compacting has to be done in progressive eight inch layers as the dirt is added.... not after a two foot depth of it has been put in.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:49 PM   #8
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

The key factor that determines how much, if any, compaction needs to be done is the type of soil you have. Granular soil, specifically sand and gravel, can be relatively easily compacted using ordinary equipment such as a truck or a bulldozer. Silty soil, especially if it is moist or wet, compacts very poorly, requires special equipment, and may be unusable as foundation material. Clay is in a special class by itself, generally cannot be compacted, and may be unusable if it is soft, expansive, or has other issues.

From your description, the foundation people may not have a clue what type of soil they are dealing with, and may have selected the wrong technique for compaction. For a large structure subject to damage if it settles or shifts, it is usually a good idea to have an experienced engineer look at the site, take appropriate soil borings, and offer expert advice on how to prepare the site for the foundation. Probably too late now, but might still be worth it to hire a professional engineer to review the entire construction.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:18 AM   #9
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,372

Willie T and Dan Holzman and others are correct... You have potential for settlement and consequent cracking depending on the soil.

From a practical standpoint, and considering your uses and quality requirements for the barn, you can certainly mitigate the chances of settlement and cracking by 1) rent a jumping jack (not a plate tamper) and jump the hell out of your two foot fill end. Moisten the earth (not drench) it for several days to work the ground tighter. It should have been tamped in 6-8" lifts, but tampimg now will help some. 2) Add rebar in the center of your pour in a grid pattern on maybe 18" centers. If you don't expect really heavy tractors, you can use remesh. 3) Cut control joints which will mitigate random cracking, but won't stop settlement heaving.

As you mention no footers to your slab (mono pour) I'm assuming this is a pole barn on it's own piers/footings. If your intending somehow to build directly on the slab, the whole structure could have potential issues... and maybe you want to get a local professional opinion, as any settlement will not just affect your slab and floor, but the structural integrity of the whole structure..

Good luck ... Peter
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:24 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 708

set out a sprinkler onto the slab base for a couple of hours a day for a week or so before pouring. let it dry for a day and then run a plate tamper on it. Use as large a packer as you can rent. ours is about 700 pounds. If there is enough water in the base, it will pack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement