Bonus Room = Bathroom ? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2010, 08:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

bonus room = bathroom ?

The sheetrock crew accidently sheetrocked my bonus room ceiling...hahahha. good for me. the one question i have is in their rush they seetrocked the bathroom ceiling with regular sheetrock, not green board. my question is this...in lieu of removign the sheetrock can i just screw the green board over teh existing sheetrock? i know i can take down the existing drywall but then i have to remove the insulation overhead etc... didnt know if there could be a mold issue inbetweent eh green board and the existing rock. my buddy suggested putting roofing felt inbetween teh pieces of rock. option 1, remove the existing and replace accordingly or opt #2 install green board over teh existing rock. opinions...??
mikeluvs2build is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

Green board isn't water-proof, it's water resistance. It tolerates water more - but still is susceptible to water-related damage and problems.

If I were you I'd just remove the current standard drywall (aka - Sheetrock). Get some backer-board, cut it down into smaller - easier to place pieces - and install that.

However, you're not me - so you could Red guard the current ceiling and adhere backer-board over top of it - once again, cutting it down into smaller pieces so it's easier to install.
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Both my bathroom ceilings at this house are sheetrock, as was the ceiling at my last house
I haven't had any problems
Just use a paint with mold/mildew prohibitors (?) in it

Is there a shower in there ?
Exhaust fan ?

Do not do the roofing felt

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2010, 11:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

it's a tub surround w/shower and yes there will be an

exhaust fan near the shower. i am now thinking about tiling the ceiling above the tub. if i do that then i will prob explore teh red guard and the durrock option
mikeluvs2build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Both my bathroom ceilings at this house are sheetrock, as was the ceiling at my last house
I was thinking the same thing. Every house I've seen, it just looked like the walls above the level of the shower as well as the ceiling was simply drywall. The paint seems to have done fine in keeping the drywall protected from minor splashes.
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:58 AM   #6
Military Mom of 4

If you're opened to a full surround which includes the ceiling then I suggest you consider hardboard instead of some serious ceiling tile - it's 1/4" (ish) and made for tub-surrounds and can be painted if you prime it - comes in different styles - mostly they're white but I've seen it in faux tile, as well. . . and you just cut it to size and glue it up.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
RDS

Rewards Points: 150

I learned when doing my bathroom that greenboard mfrs actually don't recommend 1/2" greenboard for ceilings unless the joists are 12" o.c. or less. The stuff is more prone to sagging than regular 1/2" drywall. So your installers actually did it right. (Unless you're planning to tile the ceiling -- not clear to me from the original post.)
RDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement