Best Practice : Attach Deck Ledger Board To Rim-board W/ I Joists - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2016, 05:24 PM   #1
Young Bachelor

Rewards Points: 479

Best Practice : Attach deck ledger board to rim-board w/ I Joists

Looking for someone who has done this in the past - with success...

How does one go about attaching a ledger board, say a P.T. 2x10, to a rim board when the rim-board is fastened to I joist flanges?

Right now I have vinyl siding > housewrap > rim board > I joists. I have a bad feeling about tearing off my bottom row of vinyl siding, and just using lag bolts to secure a P.T. 2x10 to the rim board. Wouldn't the rim-board be apt to pull out / pivot on the sill plate since it's only secured to the joists at their flange points? I know if this was the older style 2x joists, I would just lag my P.T. 2x10 directly through rim board and into the meat of the house floor joists. That's not really an option with modern construction, so what is the best practice?
CTSNicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2016, 06:09 PM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 364

Re: Best Practice : Attach deck ledger board to rim-board w/ I Joists

A picture would be great help.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2016, 07:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSNicholas View Post
Looking for someone who has done this in the past - with success...

How does one go about attaching a ledger board, say a P.T. 2x10, to a rim board when the rim-board is fastened to I joist flanges?

Right now I have vinyl siding > housewrap > rim board > I joists. I have a bad feeling about tearing off my bottom row of vinyl siding, and just using lag bolts to secure a P.T. 2x10 to the rim board. Wouldn't the rim-board be apt to pull out / pivot on the sill plate since it's only secured to the joists at their flange points? I know if this was the older style 2x joists, I would just lag my P.T. 2x10 directly through rim board and into the meat of the house floor joists. That's not really an option with modern construction, so what is the best practice?
If the floor diaphragm(Usually 3/4T&G) is properly nailed into the rim it should not be able to twist and you should be able to install your lags anywhere on the rim as long as they are at least 2" from any edge.
Also nowadays they require some serious anchors on your porch if its not free standing.

Last edited by Mingledtrash; 07-25-2016 at 08:01 PM.
Mingledtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2016, 09:07 AM   #4
Young Bachelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
A picture would be great help.

ED
This isn't mine, but this is exactly the same thing going on, perhaps mine is with a tighter joist spacing.

I'm wanting to attach to that rim board the joists are perpendicular to. As you see, the flange is the only meat the rim-board has attached to the joists.

@Mingledtrash ,
I am unsure of how well the sub-floor was nailed into the rim-board. If I was there I would have definitely glued and nailed that edge very well knowing later I would have a ledger board, but I was at work that day during construction. One thing I do remember now though, is that the wall OSB (7/16) spreads down over the rim board, so technically that should be extra support to prevent the rim-board from tearing back / pivoting, yes?

This deck would run 10 to 12' out from the house and be 16-20' along the house, making the ledger be that 16-20' length.

I am tempted to just build this free standing, but that's going to put some supports in difficult places at the walkout basement door area.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:42 AM   #5
JUSTA MEMBER

Thank you for the picture.

Do you have access to the inside crawl space, or basement?

If so go in there, add some 2X ? as backing joists, like fire blocks, but rim joists. Then through bolt the exterior ledger board into these support joists .

ED
Old 07-26-2016, 11:32 AM   #6
Young Bachelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
If so go in there, add some 2X ? as backing joists, like fire blocks, but rim joists. Then through bolt the exterior ledger board into these support joists .
ED
I can get to that area in the basement just fine. I have thought of how I could brace that area, but even the idea of some 2x? The 2x would need to secure to the I joists somehow, yes? But how would this happen since it's an I joist and the center OSB material is off limits in terms of support? Just running 2x material behind the rim board wouldn't do anything unless the 2x material anchors to the joists, but then it's really choppy there - at least in my mind.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:14 PM   #7
JUSTA MEMBER

You place your 2X against the OSB , then toe-screw up and down into the caps.

Use 2.5- 3 inch coated deck screws.

This strengthens the I-beam immensely.

Then you can bolt through from the outside, the ledgers for the deck.

ED
Old 07-26-2016, 12:39 PM   #8
Young Bachelor

Caps...as in the flanges of the I Joists? Then the goal is to fasten the ledger into the dimensional 2x material on the inside?
Old 07-26-2016, 12:55 PM   #9
JUSTA MEMBER

Caps are either the I joist flanges, or the top or bottom plates of the upper and lower structure.

Yes on the inside, bolt through the OSB t get into the 2X that you just installed.
ED

Last edited by de-nagorg; 07-26-2016 at 01:01 PM. Reason: add to
Old 07-26-2016, 01:32 PM   #10
Young Bachelor

So you are saying to sister the 2X with the rim board, running it perpendicular to the I Joists? Just checking to clarify...
Old 07-26-2016, 01:38 PM   #11
JUSTA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSNicholas View Post
So you are saying to sister the 2X with the rim board, running it perpendicular to the I Joists? Just checking to clarify...
YES! You got it.

That will be strengthening the OSB rim, and giving the floor joists a bit of help too.

And it gives you plenty of material to bolt the deck ledger to.

Especially if you do this in every span.

ED
Old 07-26-2016, 02:00 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,466

Typically your rim joist is nailed every 6-8 inches at the bottom into the sill. Then a couple of nails into the top of each I joist. Then the whole thing is covered with plywood nailed 12" in the field, 6" on all seams.

If your rim board is the modern stuff which is typically apa rated and either 1" or 1 1/8" thick you should have no worries provided that you use proper fasteners to attach the ledger. Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement