Best Anchors For Stucc For Hanging Lighting - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Oddjober

Old 02-23-2018, 02:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 148

Best Anchors for Stucc for hanging lighting

I need to string a guide wire to hang some festive lights. I need to anchor the guide wire into a stucco wall, Im not sure if I'll be able to find the stud. I don't think the load is too much and thinkng if I miss the studd I can use a toggle with an eye bolt or use two expanding screw anchors to attach pad eye straps. thoughts?
Oddjober is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 1,532

Re: Best Anchors for Stucc for hanging lighting

Not bad if you have sheeting behind the stucco but if not I would not trust just stucco.
If you can get to the top 3 inches f the wall there would be double plate there. if you have 2 floors there would be a rim joist above the lower wall. Double stud beside doors and windows. Find studs from inside to aid in finding it outside.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2018, 03:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 136

If it is plywood sheathing maybe Stucco is not structural and it will not hole a load. You will need to find a good backing to attach to.
ClarenceBauer is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2018, 01:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 260

If this is temp lights, don't damage the wall. Try using several tabs of removable tape per hook. 3M or another name may be command. I think somebody in the forum suggested it. Stucco is never thick enough to hold anything. Would be easier if it is wood wall such as ply or boards. Then just a screw will be strong enough. If masonry wall, may have to drill and use anchors. But there are big risks for blind screwing into a wall. Without luck, high chance you will hit electric or water.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:25 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 148

It was an old house and didn't have any sheathing behind stucco. I managed to find a stud location on the inside, it was difficult because the other side of wall was the kitchen with tile and cabinets so my stud finder was uselss. I took the plate off an outlet to see which side stud was on and hoped it was on a true wall stud. I measured the distance to the kitchen window and used that to figure out where it was outside. I lucked out it was a studd and was able to put a secure eyebolt. I also got some longer eyebolts and put them in the eves so they protruded below the rain gutters, so I only needed to go into the stucco in one place.
Nealtw likes this.
Oddjober is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement