Beam Cracked, Please Help - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2015, 01:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 34
Question

Beam Cracked, please help

Hello,
I bought a house about 6 months ago. I knew the house had saggy floor since it was built in 1867 but at the time I was buying it, I didn't notice the cracked beam. There are multiple beams but only one of them which is under the bathroom and living room area is cracked. Here is the picture of the beam taken right from under the beam.

Because of this beam I believe the floor is sagging. As you can see the second picture is right outside my living room and bathroom area, 2 doors are not aligned and don't close properly. This beam is 6x8. Ultimately I would like to jack the beam and install a new lally column and sister it with 2x8. Since its cracked I'm afraid if I jack it, it'll crack more? I know home depot sells joist hangers but they don't sell beam hangers or 6"x8" hangers. How should I fix this problem? Couple of contracts came out but they want to charge me $7000+ for repairing this and install a few new steel lally columns and I don't have that kind of money right now.

This is what my basement looks like. Ultimately I would like to replace all the posts with steel lally columns.

sam240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2015, 07:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,130

There are no pictures.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2015, 09:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 42

I believe that I read here somewhere that one must have a minimum of 5 posts before they can post pictures.
Larry K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2015, 09:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 42

Simpson Strong-Tie makes beam hangers and sometimes they need to be special ordered.
http://www.strongtie.com/products/co...-eg_glulam.asp

More help may be available if we can see what you have going on.
Larry K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:41 PM   #5
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

No doubt you will get better responses when the pictures post. I am not sure I fully understand what your problem is, or what your proposed solution is. If the beam is cracked, it may have lost most of its strength, and jacking it back into position is not going to restore lost strength. You would either need to replace the beam entirely (not a simple project), or jack the beam back to level, and sister new structural elements (could be wood, steel, or glu-lam) onto the old beam. Jacking a cracked beam back to level requires some experience, you may want to find a local carpenter or similar person who has done this before to help out. It is easy to damage your house in the process if you don't have experience.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:58 PM   #6

they have a rule set for new comers. I cannot put a link in a post until I have 2 posts. So this is my second post.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:00 PM   #7

Here are the picture links

This is the picture of the crack
https://www.dropbox.com/s/knx47kcno6...62021.jpg?dl=0

Doors Not Aligned
https://www.dropbox.com/s/znz0i5pp6m...om%29.jpg?dl=0

And my Basement
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rsufp9kw2u...om%29.jpg?dl=0
Old 03-08-2015, 01:15 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,466

Consider getting maybe a six foot length of six bye eight, putting it directly under that cracked area, putting an adjustable jack post under each end, snugging things up, and then giving it a quarter turn more. Wait. A few days and give it another quarter. Repeat slowly while keeping an eye on those doors. Might not be possible to bring the doors back to where they should be but you will have at least insured against further sagging and stiffened up the floor until you can afford complete repair (or maybe the temp solution will just be fine for a few years). Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ront02769 View Post
Consider getting maybe a six foot length of six bye eight, putting it directly under that cracked area, putting an adjustable jack post under each end, snugging things up, and then giving it a quarter turn more. Wait. A few days and give it another quarter. Repeat slowly while keeping an eye on those doors. Might not be possible to bring the doors back to where they should be but you will have at least insured against further sagging and stiffened up the floor until you can afford complete repair (or maybe the temp solution will just be fine for a few years). Ron
Ron, Do you do this for living? I see you're from Southern Mass and I'm also in Mass haha maybe I can hire you =) but thank you for the advice I didn't think about putting a piece directly underneath.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:14 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 996

you can put just a screw post under it. put "at least" a 2x12x12" under the post.
just know = once a board takes a "set", like that. it is all but impossible, within reason, to unbow it.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:27 PM   #11
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

Oh, I can guarantee I can get the bow out but I don't see where anybody has addressed one of the questions:

is it possible lifting it may actually cause it to crack further?

In my layman's mind, I can see it as a possibility since as wood cracks, it leaves surfaces that may not fit back together cleanly. That, especially near the ends of the crack, may act as spacers which, when pressure is applied to lift the dropped portion, cause the beam to crack not just further but more completely.

On top of everything else it appears the crack splits the mean diagonally. That means, to me, that it could cause the crack to split open wider which would work in separating the pieces.

In my mind, I would think lateral support would be required as well as support from below.

for me, I would be looking at a fairly heavy squared U shaped chunk o' steel the beam would set within to provide some lateral support. If there is space above the beam between the joists maybe a clamshell sort of construct since a U is going to have the concerns of spreading at the opening.

but then my dad did school me well in the art of over kill when it comes to things like this so maybe my approach is a bit over the top.

discuss among yourselves
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:23 PM   #12
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,790

Ayuh,.... I like Ron's idea,... Bridge the whole crack area,....

Yer not ever goin' to get those doors to align,...
They're built into the crooked house, not a straight house,...

I'd just jack it to level the floors, if possible, 'n no more,....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:53 PM   #13

I had a contractor in today to suggest some things. He wants to put a new column underneath the crack and replace old wooden posts with block of concrete with holes in them and fill the holes with concrete. I've never seen this method used at least not in residential houses and he's charging me $1000 for 2 new steel lally columns and replace 2 wooden posts with blocks of concrete filled with concrete in them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement