Bay Window Insulation - Not Answered Previous - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

bay window insulation - not answered previous

I read through a few other posts about this problem but none of the answers can quite work here...

We have a bay window with no cavity below, no place for cellulose to be blown in and the exterior it seems that the white plastic type cover is tight against the wood that creates the shelf of the window inside - so what do I do?
It's freezing here in Iowa now, so I don't think any type of adhesive caulk would even hold a piece of xps - or just foam insulation. The window on the inside has a great difference in temperature compared to the room, and I fear that we're losing alot of heat and if feels like the coldness radiates from the window.
qchawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 09:49 PM   #2

I have the same problem. Window is attatched to the house . And its wide open underneath. Used to have cemant holding it up. Had to break it out. To fix a sagging problem. Now its just open floor joists under there. Been trying to figure out what to put under there. The floor in the bay is freezeing cold.
Kurt1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 10:03 PM   #3

ours does not go length-wise to the floor joist, it's like the regular height/placement of a window. there is about 3 feet to the floor itself in the room, and then the rim joist is fully insulated beneath that.
it's like our bay wndow shouldn't be as supported as it really is - but it is, I've kneeled in it to clean the windows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 11:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 526

Picture would help a lot.
Be safe, Gary
Old 12-16-2009, 12:50 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,002

build a frame under the window insulate and finish,how old is the window? most of the newer ones are supported with a cable system
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:55 AM   #6

My house is 105 years old. Mine is 3 windows made up to be a bay. And it has its own framing under it. Like it was added later.
Kurt1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:02 AM   #7
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Can you cut a foam insulation panel to fit inside and then add a finished sill/shelf over that?
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:22 PM   #8

pic of bay window

thanks for all the replies - sorry it took so long to get a pic!
Attached Thumbnails
bay window insulation - not answered previous-baywindow.jpg  
Old 12-17-2009, 07:05 PM   #9
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,412

The picture is a wonderful tool to help us better understand your problem. I've seen similar type bay windows here, and this ain't Iowa in the winter for sure. Your actual windows appear to be decently insulated ones for one thing. The area below the window is certainly a place where chill winds could blow and cause problems for you. I think I better understand your statement about the "white plastic cover" being tight against the wood, but this also appears to me to be the area where you may have some weather intrusion. Maybe a pic of the inside will be necessary now. I'm wondering-where the white plastic piece meets the vinyl siding and the bottom of the window, what is behind that white plastic piece? Could it be removed to add better insulation there (if there is any behind it)? What insulation is in the exterior wall the vinyl siding is covering? You may have to use the old "candle trick" to find where you have any air infiltration all around the window before you can fix them. Keep us posted, Thanks, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:49 PM   #10

i am on a different computer without my pics, but the plastic is screwed straight UP into the wood - that is a solid piece which creates the seat/floor of the bay window - the shelf we decorate... it is veneered inside - there is no gap - i've removed the trim around the window inside and it is tight with the drywall and then a bead of caulk.
I have put that clear plastic over the two side windows that crank outward, and then put the screen back in, so the candle trick is negative, it's just the wood - the area within the space of the bay window is sooooo cold.
i have some white styrofoam insualtion R4 (i think) but i think i might try to cut it to fit under the window and then put some plastic shrink wrap over it - don't know how it will work - but i normally find a way when i get a weird idea like that!
Old 12-17-2009, 09:01 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 526

Get some fire-rated rigid foam board as M-7 said, and some garage door wrap flashing. Slip it under the 3/4" trim around the outside of the soffit to hold up the foil-faced foam layers and a layer of Hardie soffit material on the bottom with screws.
Be safe, Gary
Old 12-17-2009, 09:45 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ah...that pic clears things up
I have 2x10's under my window & R30 insulation
I think I'd be inclined to frame it down to the ground & insulate
Maybe even make a small storage area

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:07 AM   #13

it looks like a newer unit and possibly already insulated somewhat your losing more heat thru the glass than you will ever loose thru the seat but you can definatly have a window or siding mechanic install more insulation

check to make sure the head board is insulated which may be more important as heat tends to rise
Old 12-18-2009, 05:20 AM   #14

I have yet to investigate the top as I'm a short person! lol
We're set to get some more snow soon, so hopefully I can rig something today.
I think a nice summer project will be to build something under it. If I lived on a farm, I'd throw some hay bales under it for now, but in the city that's quite an eye sore! Thanks for all the advice!

Oh, and as for the windows - they actually are very good double pane, so there's not much loss there... Wishing one project could be easy! We're in the middle of a full basement remodel and that is cake compared to working with something that is finished like this - not to mention the solution will include work OUTSIDE!
Old 12-24-2009, 08:46 PM   #15

when air hits the glass it cools and drops down to the seat board which is why it feels cooler there, you may think your double pane windows dont loose heat but if you ever saw a thermal image you will see most of the heat escaping right thru the glass and less thru the head and seat

if it was my house i would pull the inside trim and make sure the unit is air sealed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement