Basement Windows - Cement Casing - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
Mechanical Engineer

Rewards Points: 125

Basement windows - cement casing

I've got some new Pella slider basement windows that I'm putting in. The head of the window opening is the sill plate, and the remaining three sides are concrete (not block). The bottom is sloped. The smallest window I could find is 14 1/2"H, and my opening is only 14". So I'm going to remove some of the concrete from the bottom, where the opening is sloped inward.

My question: What's the best way to do this?

I have the option of using a cold chisel but that leaves a lot of finish work on each window, and it makes it more time consuming to get each opening exact. Or, I can use a power tool of some kind to grind/cut the opening to the size I need.

My thought was to use a Dremel, or similar tool, to cut grooves to the depth I need, then just break off the edges with the cold chisel. Or, if the Dremel does a good enough job, just cut away all of the material with that.

I'm trying to avoid having to go back and even out the bottom of the rough opening for each window.

Thanks.

Last edited by gshock; 07-12-2009 at 11:42 AM.
gshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2009, 06:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

check the window for some play room. we had this problem once and were able to use a planer on the top and bottom ( they were just plastic) and shave off 3/16" and had nice snug fits.
II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2009, 09:01 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

whoops, old post!
sgo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Mechanical Engineer

Rewards Points: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgo70 View Post
whoops, old post!
No worries. Saw your original post, and it's applicable.

Because the opening is sloped on the lower edge, and I'm not removing much material, here's my plan:
I'm going to have to get a bigger grinder (bigger than a Dremel), and I'm pretty sure I can make a guide so that I can make uniform cuts of equal depth. Then I'll take the cold chisel and knock off the tongues that are left.

As long as the cuts are close enough, they should break off pretty cleanly at the right depth. Any uneven surfaces can be ground off pretty easily at that point. yes, this will be time consuming and messy, but I'd rather do it right and do it once, than to have to go back and re-work one or more windows.
gshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement