Basement Water Leaking Issue - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2009, 09:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement water leaking issue

I just started finishing my basement using a ramset with 1 1/2 inch nails securing the sill plate to the floor. I have never had water in my basement until I started framing. I noticed large puddles of water seeping through the floor. I saw no water seepage running down the walls. Does anyone have any ideas on where this is coming from? Any suggestions on fixing this?
gierkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2009, 03:16 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,602

it sounds as if you're experiencing the effects of hydrostatic pressure,,, wtr's build up outside the fnd walls &, while trying to seek its own level, found some crks in your bsmt's floor.

usual suggestions of downspout leader drains & positive grading will help but not resolve the issue,,, IF there's a toe drainage system, it may be blocked,,, if there isn't, you may need exterior excavation to install it,,, may also be possible to resolve by the installation of sump & pump,,, perhaps our w-site diagrams can help.

1 caution - there's NO interior coating ( magic juice - silver bullet ) that'll cure it including ANYTHING from an apron store.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2009, 03:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,348

How do you secure a 2x4 with a 1 1/2"nail?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2009, 04:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

(Hydrostatic pressure) This pressure can become so severe as to crack and lift the floor slab. There is a technique that consists of cutting the floor slab 12" from the wall the entire perimeter and remove. Also cut out a spot for a sump pump pit. Dig a trench that drains to the pit and install perforated pipe, install a sump pump that pumps to the exterior. Install waterproof paneling to the walls to extend down to the newly dug trench. Back fill trench with washed rock or river rock. Pour removed sections of slab.
Digging up the exterior to install a new drain tile and water proofing is the most risky application even for the most skilled installer. It is a good way to collapse the basement walls.
izzym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:13 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,602

that's where the miradrain comes in,,, tuck the 6mil plastic into the exposed m-drain then all collected wtr vapor/liquid must flow into the trench pipe,,, we do exterior work,,, IF the walls're good condition, fine,,, if not, shore up inside under the direction of structural pe,,, better yet, have the INSURED AND LICENSED contractor you hire work w/the pe.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement