Basement Walls Squeek - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2016, 03:21 PM   #1

Basement Walls Squeek

I'm in the process of framing my basement using floating framing (code requirement). The interior walls that I have installed squeak and creek when walking on them from the floor above my basement. The walls feel solid and it's happening to walls that are connected directly to the joists and to the walls that are connected to blocking between joists. They only squeak and creek when walking above them. If I push and pull on the walls themselves they don't make any noise and feel solid. Will the noise subside after they're drwalled? What can I do to stop the creaking? Obviously I would prefer to take care of this before I drywall.
RookieDIYer8476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2016, 07:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,380

Re: Basement Walls Squeek

are your holes in the bottom plate big enough? Basically what you are doing is hanging a wall from your joists.....a bit above the pt bottom plate. Your wall then "rides" up and down on steel rods that go through into the concrete. Not sure where you're from......but since I am on the ocean I see docks every day that are held in place by pilings driven into the ocean floor.....with a big u shaped thing that goes around the piling and connects to the dock....ands they slide up and down year after year....but they DO creak and squeak. So is that possibly your issue??
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2016, 07:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 17,954

Re: Basement Walls Squeek

Got some pictures to share?
How where the brackets installed? Nails. screws?
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2016, 08:02 PM   #4

It does sound like it's coming from the spikes going through the bottom plate and into the pt sole plate. I'll try overdrilling the holes a little bigger to see if that does trick.
RookieDIYer8476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement