Basement Wall Covering - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 135

Basement wall covering

I am looking to put up some wall covering to finish off my laundry room in the basement. the issue I have is right by the stairs, I don't have enough space to put a lot of backing support. Would it be possibly to put up a 4x8 sheet of the beadboard looking panel and just securing it at the top to the sill and the bottom to the stair stringer and using 1 x 1/4" strips glued to it to space it off the wall so there is an airspace. The walls have been sealed before and I don't get water from any of the walls in the laundry room currently. This would only be for a 12 foot section near the stairs and the walls are concrete.

Thanks.
jimmyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #2

Some things do get through the spam filter I see...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #3

Here is a picture of the area I want to put the wall up in. As you can see, there isn't a lot of space here.

Another thought I had while reading some other basement posts was 1/2" - 1" XPS foam and then just attach the bead board to that directly with no drywall or studs. Would that be an option? Or do I need a small airspace between the foam and the bead board?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2011, 08:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 162

That is a pretty narrow space to work in. If it were me and I had to have a finished look, I would install 1" furring strips against the wall and then fasten the paneling to the wall. You'll need to install a handrail, so the furring strips would give you a little material to attach to as well.
Advertisement