Which Basement Sealing/waterproofing Product(s)? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2009, 08:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 41

Which basement sealing/waterproofing product(s)?

Hi,

I wasn't sure which forum this post should go under so I apologize if I have chosen poorly.

I am preparing to finish my basement and I'm working on getting it prepped. The house is 4 years old and has a poured concrete basement. The basement has been 100% dry so far and I want to keep it that way especially after adding walls, carpet, furniture, electronics, etc.. I'm looking for the best way to do this? There seem to be a lot of products out there that claim to waterproof basement walls/floors and was wondering if someone could recommend one for me based on their own experiences?

Some other info:
My basement has a sump pump and I will be adding a backup water powered system to go with it.

My house has a passive radon mitigation system using a 3" PVC pipe that runs from the basement up through the roof. I also will be adding a radon mitigation fan as part of my prep work to maximize the benefit of this system.

I tested the radon using an electronic tester in 2006. After 96 hours it was 2 (After 72 it was 3, after 48 hours it was 4). So, not really sure what it is but after adding the fan and sealing/water proofing walls/floors I will perform another test.

Thanks for any info you can provide for waterproofing/sealing my walls/floors.
barlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 518

If no response, try this: http://www.diychatroom.com/search.php & you will find hours of opinions.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 12:03 PM   #3

After doing some research I'm wondering if I should do anything at all with the walls floors?? It seems like there is a lot of debate when it comes to waterproofing with products like Drylok etc..

The only water I've had in 4 years was due to a vertical crack in the wall near one of the windows. I was able to seal it up.

I will be gluing 2" extruded foam board glued to the concrete walls and adding a backup sump. Am I crazy not to do anything else and leave it at that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,614

just curious how you sealed the crk - interior or exterior ? method ? material ?

don't waste your time/$ w/drilok & stay out of those apron stores,,, you're liable to listen to those apron wearers who, last week, were carryin' sandwich boards down at the furniture store [ w/apologies to the pro sandwich board carriers ! ]

there is no more mystifying challenge than finishing a basement,,, impo, ONLY conc's worth it - cmu walls WILL eventually leak,,, your odds're MUCH better if you've got conc !
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:51 AM   #5

I can't remember what product I used, it was a concrete sealer I bought at local hardware store. I sealed it from the inside using a puddy knife. The crack was right at the bottom left corner of the basement window and extended down the wall. It was a very thin crack. I suspect the water was entering from the top where the window was. I covered the window well, improved the grade away from the foundation and now there is a wood deck above this window that extends 16 feet out. I haven't had any water in 2 years so I'm hoping this will no longer be an issue.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:05 AM   #6

the water's still ' there ' but you can't ' see ' it,,, there's a cure for ignorance ( education ) but stupid's fatal,,, to repeat & reiterate, let me post AGAIN its impossible to stop water from the inside,,, water's still penetrating that area 'cept it gets stopped at the repair's backside, NOT the foundation's exterior & its got all the time in the world to ' eat ',,, the 1 exception interior work is crk injection w/hydrophyllic polyurethane grout ( sometimes called epoxy injection )

in short, its STILL ' an issue ' but you can't see it !

ps - i'm still ignorant about lotza stuff
Old 09-25-2009, 11:16 AM   #7

thanks, yeah I know the water is still there. I bet there is water all around my foundation trying to find it's way in, after all it is a below grade basement. My choice to stay the course with my current solution is being more sensibly practical than ignorant....ok ok, a little ignorant but ignorance is bliss! I flooded the area (with way more water then would ever enter this area naturally) around my window to test my "fixes" and not a drop of water entered. The cover over the window well, the shelter of the deck and the grade improvements will be enough to keep me dry for a long time god willing. The crack I had under the window is very common from what I gather, and the simple patch job seems to be highly successful solution based on what I've researched. I wouldn't hesitate to get more serious if I still had a water problem but I've been completely dry for several years now since my fix and I'm currently of the philosopy: "if it aint broke don't fix it" if that makes me stoopid or ignerent then so be it
Old 09-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #8

matter of fact, you're neither more importantly, you're aware !

yes, water seeks its own level so it probably is encircling the footer - if not now, eventually,,, that's because bldrs don't backfill in ' lifts ' & compact each lift,,, it also takes the path of least resistance &, once it finds a hole, it rush's to fill a void meaning if wtr's drawn out, more fills its place ( try making a hole in a tub full of wtr )

i agree w/your decision since its based on logic, knowledge, & a coin toss
Old 01-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

Barlav - So did you seal your concrete floor and walls with anything? I am about to start my own basement in a 5 year old home and am also thinking about doing nothing but think I should do something. I am not sure if there is a correct answer.

Did you put carpet in your basement? If you did, did you put pad on concrete or did you use a subfloor?
On Iowa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement