Basement French Drain - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2014, 08:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 97

Basement French Drain

When we build a house with a basement my boss installs the French drain so that it sits directly on the footing on the outside of the basement wall. No slope. Flat and level around the footing.

Actually I have only done one with him so far but we just started two more recently. I'm sure these will be done the same way.

Anybody else leave their French drains level?
DBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 09:00 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

These are more properly called perimeter drains. There are two versions of a French drain, one named after Mr. French, and the other apparently refers to a type of drain used in France. Or so I am told. In any case, it is very common to lay the tile flat in a perimeter drain. The water will move from higher elevation to lower elevation, which is presumably a sump pit, or there is a drain which connects to the street in one corner, which collects all the groundwater from the four sides of the house.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement