DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Basement Framing - Floating Slab

17K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  concretemasonry 
#1 ·
What resource (book, on-line) would you recommend for instructions on how to frame walls for a FLOATING SLAB basement?

I am handy but I have never framed an entire basement before, plus using the floating slab technique. The basement in 1,050 sq.ft. and I was quoted $1K in labor PLUS the cost of lumber to have someone do it for me. If I can save $1K, I would rather do it myself.

Does $1,000 sound like a fair price for labor to frame walls for a basement? It's a walk-out basement with a bathroom and storage closet area, the rest will be open. 1,050 sq.ft.

#2 ·
depends on exactly what they will do. just framing? alot of cutting to fit around furnace, ductwork, plumbing ect... Is this a company? or just a couple of fellows working for cash?If your going to have it done it will cost you . labor is never cheap! I would recomend a licensed builder to ensure it is done properly and to code otherwise you may be out $1000. after they screw it up for you.

#3 ·
What resource (book, on-line) would you recommend for instructions on how to frame walls for a FLOATING SLAB basement?

I am handy but I have never framed an entire basement before, plus using the floating slab technique. The basement in 1,050 sq.ft. and I was quoted $1K in labor PLUS the cost of lumber to have someone do it for me. If I can save $1K, I would rather do it myself.

Does $1,000 sound like a fair price for labor to frame walls for a basement? It's a walk-out basement with a bathroom and storage closet area, the rest will be open. 1,050 sq.ft.
A thousand sounds cheap to me. Unless it's just a couple of walls. Most basements have a lot of soffits to go around pipes and ductwork and such. Also you have to seal the block and insulate.

#4 ·
What is so unique about a floating slab?

It is independant of the upper part of the structure, which are supported by the exterior walls and any posts and beams?

Just about every slab in a basement is floating and is not a structural slab. All you have is a concrete slab wirh four walls and the usual obstructions, furnaces, stairways, etc. You probably have many things that you will want that are not fully described - especially for such a low price.

If you want to get the most out of the space, do some planning on what you want yo do about the ducts, pipes, posts, beams, etc. It is cheap to go straight and drop the ceiling, but that is not what most people want to do.

#7 ·
I think he is actually referring to having to float the walls as he is apparently in the area of Colorado where highly expansive soils are present. In these areas code requires that the basement walls are actually hung from the first floor joists and float 2 or 3" above the slab. Pins are used to prevent lateral movement.

Jack, Framing is a lot of fun. If you are not in a hurry and want to save a few $ then go for it. Just be sure you understand the details.

#9 ·
I was talking about the very common and typical basement concrete slab that is poured on the wall footings (not connected to the footings or walls). It bears on the footings and the soil below it and "floats" between the walls. If you have expansive soil, it can raise and require a wall with floating connections. - That is why it is important to give your location.

If you do not have expansive soils, your only problem is the possibility of not having proper support uder the slab. A typical floating slab is not a structural slab capable of spanning from footing to footing when the typical poor/rotton/uncompacted soil under the slab settles. As little as 1/8" to 1/4" of soil settlement can lead to cracks.

If you do not have adequate slab support (which is very common), building a wall on the floor and beating into location in the center of the basement between the floor and ceiling/beams can cause floor cracks. If you are adjacent to the exterior walls, that should not be a concern.

Structural slabs are more than the typical 4" or 5" thick floating slabs and have rebar for reinforcement and not just wire for temperature/shrinkage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.