Barn Raising - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Barn raising

Ok, I got this idea to build a barn. I checked out the kits, the designs for sale, and the companies that want to build post frame for me. I've concluded that I want to design and build it myself. It's gonna be a gambrel roof design and I'm gonna build all of it myself. I'm designing it now and want to ask a few direct questions. Couple questions I have is that when I plant the posts and get all the band boards up and I'm at the top row. Not sure what those are called, but they are large boards. I want to run double sided top boards, but in design I can't see how that is gonna work with the corners. SO the question is, do I run doubles along the sides, or the ends. I will have a center beam running the length of it down the center of the barn, so I want to set that on top of the ends to support the loft floor. Is it better to run the doubles on the ends or sides in this case?

I also have run some drawings for the roof, does the ends of the side trusses set on top of the loft floor, or is it notched and sets off the end of the loft? I was thinking it wouldn't hurt to just set them right on top, but is that going to affect the venting or anything, this is gonna be a metal roof so, I don't think it needs any venting, especially with the gambrel roof, its very airy in the loft and I don't know what kinda venting if any it should need?

Anyone got any advice?
pl1338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
old guy contractor

Rewards Points: 530

Whoa......Slow down skippy

Either post pics or take a few moments to get the terminology correct.

The only way anyone can answer those types of questions are if we understand what piece/part you are talking about.
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

do you require a permit in your area? If so, you need to be looking into either an engineered building or plan on supporting your design with engineering proof.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

they're called ledger boards, you need to double them up at least on the sides (one on each side of the post), and install blocking vertically and on edge between the ledgers to provide stiffness and strength. You should also use 2x- blocks on the posts to help support the ledgers. Use the landscape screws to hold everything together. Get help as to the size of the ledgers (2x12 syp?) and the spacing of the posts
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:00 PM   #5

OK, thanks for the help so far. Ledger boards, got it. doubles on the sides, got it. Now, as for the permit, that won't be an issue, I'll take the design over to lowes or something and they will draw it up and make me all the copies I need. Now, I've changed my mind about the center support and I'm going to make it an alley, so, I'll just alter my plans so I can have two beams running down the sides of the alley, and that will make it easier to maneuver vehicles in and around. Already had planned on the helper boards for the ledgers etc.

As for the roof, does it need to set on top of the loft floor, or does it need to be notched and have a gap for venting purposes? I would rather not gap it. And how about the first 1 or two that you put up, how the heck do you get it to stay up, just bracing or what?
Old 01-31-2011, 08:08 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1338 View Post
OK, thanks for the help so far. Ledger boards, got it. doubles on the sides, got it. Now, as for the permit, that won't be an issue, I'll take the design over to lowes or something and they will draw it up and make me all the copies I need. Now, I've changed my mind about the center support and I'm going to make it an alley, so, I'll just alter my plans so I can have two beams running down the sides of the alley, and that will make it easier to maneuver vehicles in and around. Already had planned on the helper boards for the ledgers etc.

As for the roof, does it need to set on top of the loft floor, or does it need to be notched and have a gap for venting purposes? I would rather not gap it. And how about the first 1 or two that you put up, how the heck do you get it to stay up, just bracing or what?
Now you're scaring me! How big is this barn? Could you use attic trusses for the roof so you have a clear 1st floor span?
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

My suggestion would be to do an internet search for amish barn building, they're the experts when it comes to this. That will be quite an undertaking for one person, I wish you all the best. It would be best for you to have a little help, just managing large lumber by yourself can be tough when trying to keep things square and level
Steeler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:16 PM   #8
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

Quote:
Now, as for the permit, that won't be an issue, I'll take the design over to lowes or something and they will draw it up and make me all the copies I need.
if you are designing this and it is unusual, you will likely need an engineer to stamp the design. While copies are great for a lot of reasons, lowes or something drawing it up does not mean they will approve the engineering on it. I do not believe they provide engineering services.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #9

The barn is 24'X36'. Nothing unusual about it, I want a loft upstairs, and about 13 foot ceiling down. So, the trusses idea is out, because I want a gambrel roof. They do make a truss that would allow this and still have the loft room, but I would lose too much space up. I would like to be able to use the entire upstairs. I have a magazine, (Family Handyman) that has a article on a garage they added a gambrel roof to and built the trusses on site. I don't see a structural problem and this is not an unusual design by any stretch. These things were built for a couple hundred years without problems. I just have a few q's on specific areas of construction. This isn't the first project I've ever taken on, i've assisted in two pole barns (with regular pitch roofs) and have a the general knowledge needed, just would like to iron out these little details before I actually get started.

My poles are going to be spaced evenly along the sides, about 7.2 feet apart. The ends are going to have 10' sliding doors, and the ledger/header (over doors) boards are going to be 2X12. I wanted to attach my center ledger/beam to the center of the header board with hangers, (over the doors) and have my first inside post at least 10-12 feet back inside the barn. But if I run, double row (say with a 10' center alley putting 2 rows of posts at 7' inside the walls) posts and beams, I could have a center driving alley and use shorter boards for the up floor joists. That may take more time, and cost a few more dollars, but that would be minimal, and I would have the benefit of an alley down the middle of the barn. Making for easy in and out with my truck and equipment.
The loft is going to have two 6 foot loft doors on each end. A 4' wide stair way, and basically be a wood shop/office area and general hangout for me. Although I do not have a lot of time to sit and do nothing.

Is this a little clearer?
Old 02-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #10

Oh yeah, I do plan to have help with the biggest part of construction. I also plan to rent a machine to assist with the roof and higher up stuff.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #11
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Now, as for the permit, that won't be an issue,
Why not? Do you need permits for this?
Advertisement