Atttic Troubles - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By Msradell
  • 1 Post By de-nagorg
  • 1 Post By carpdad

Old 02-26-2018, 04:22 PM   #1
Sir Diddely Squat

Rewards Points: 180

Atttic Troubles

I wasn't sure where to post this since it had multiple trades. My house of wonders is showing it true colors again. Spring is coming and checking out the chimney in the attic cause on the second floor we have peeling paint around the chimney plus we need a chimney cap. I go up to take a look and I notice a hole in the chimney. a few contractors later and estimates later anywhere from 700 to north of 4,000 for everything including a new chimney from attic up and flashing. Wife and I started thinking about the humidity from the bathroom right next to chimney where paint peeling and I go back up in the attic to see how they were venting the bathroom exhaust and I find it is exhausted back in the attic basically. They have it poorly butted against a roof vent. So my questions is this... Is it humidity or is it both the hole, possible flashing and humidity.
Attached Thumbnails
Atttic Troubles-img_20180212_194446.jpg   Atttic Troubles-img_20180226_114556.jpg   Atttic Troubles-img_20180226_114626.jpg  
Theswed82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2018, 04:38 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 5,948

Re: Atttic Troubles

The fan needs all the help it can get. Looks mickey mouse at best.
The chimney looks to have a liner could that be changed out for _ clearance and do away with the brick from the attic and above.
Bondo, Msradell and Theswed82 like this.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2018, 10:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 976

As Neal said, that exhaust system needs all the help he can get. At the very least it needs to be set up so it directly events to the outside of your home. What is that at the end of the duct from the fan? It's certainly creating a lot of back pressure on the fan itself which definitely limits flow.

Since the chimney already has a steel liner I doubt that's causing is a problems you are seeing if the liner itself isn't leaking. What exhausts through the chimney, your furnace and water heater or just a fireplace?

Your 1st course of action should definitely be fixing the venting of the bathroom exhaust fan and then go from there.
Theswed82 likes this.
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2018, 11:16 PM   #4
Sir Diddely Squat

Just furnace exhaust flue goes through it. Like I said 4 contractors and 4 answers. Prefer not to spend money on needless repairs. If it was a chimney cap issue typical it is at the base. Flashing issue I am hoping I would noticed more than just the peeling paint. Humidity while it isn't vented properly I just ain't sold on it being the reason for the peeling paint. It drives me batty not knowing what exactly is causing this problem so you are almost forced into nickel and diming it until it is fixed.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:32 PM   #5
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 1,512

Peeling paint usually has one or two reasons.

High heat, which you say this is just a furnace and water heater, the heat has dissipated long before it gets to here, so I think that is out.

Water intrusion, a bathroom vent that is not properly exhausted outside puts moisture in the air, settles on the area, and eventually saturates the walls and everything around.

I think that your humidity is too high up there, causing the wall surfaces to swell and contract, peeling the paint.

So fix the venting problem first then give the area a chance to dry out, scrape and repaint the walls and see what happens.

ED
Theswed82 likes this.
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:36 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 536

If your bathroom paint is peeling, it also could be a bad paint job as well deteriorating drywall.
Chimney should be patched inside and checked for proper flashing, cricket if needed, top drainage cap, mortar joints, flashing and cap for the metal flue.
The makeshift bath venting should be replaced with proper roof hood and connections made tight.
The metal flue looks like galvanized round duct. May not have long life left. Depends on your heater but exhaust leaves lot of moisture and steel will not last.
Theswed82 likes this.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:13 AM   #7
Sir Diddely Squat

Here another piece I don't understand then. 1. It got worse it the summer, when in the winter with the flue getter warmer and condensation makes perfect sense. 2. Would running the central air in the summer with the lack of proper ventilation affect the humidity differently vs the winter? 3. If it is humidity it must be bad paint just there because there is nowhere else that has peeling paint or bubbling paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Atttic Troubles-img_20180227_055238.jpg   Atttic Troubles-img_20180227_055249.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement