Attaching A Lot Of Wood To Wall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2009, 12:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Attaching A lot of wood to wall

I want to take a whole lot of scrap wood of various sizes from 2ft x 2ft down and attach them in a random pattern to a wall that is roughly 12x8. I plan to cover the entire wall with scrap wood of various stains, colors, sizes, and types.

The thing I am worried about with this is expansion and contraction. How can I attach these so that I don't have pieces falling off in a year? I do not want to ruin the front of them with screws, although maybe stainless screws would look nice. I am open to suggestions.

Thanks!
MakinItHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Rewards Points: 844

I haven't done anything like that before, but if I were going to do it, I would treat the wall like a floor on which I wanted to install a parquet floor (I'm assuming this is inside). I'd look into putting up plywood on the wall, then shaving the scrap pieces down in thickness a ways, like 3/4", and then glue them onto the plywood using wood floor glue. Just like if you were gluing wood parquet down. I'd also probably have a pneumatic brad or finish nailer handy, and throw some nails in. Sort of toe nailing the scrap pieces to the plywood/stud, on an angle so you wouldn't see the nail holes.

If wood floor glue can hold parquet down to a floor, I'd think it would do the trick for a wall.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 10:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

I assume this is an inside wall?
Sort of an artistic look?
The plywood/glue sounds like a good idea
If just sheetrock is up there right now I'm not sure it will hold

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 06:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Yeah it is an interior wall. Right now the wall is original plaster. So just to be sure I have the procedure right I should screw some 1/4 or thinner plywood to the wall and then use wood floor glue and finish nails to attach the pieces. Can I make this all tight to each other and tight against all the edges at the floor, ceiling and walls?
MakinItHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:26 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Makin it Home

I am getting a feeling that you are worried about expansion and contraction.

With pieces as small as you have the mount of expansion and contraction will be minimal. I would say that you would probably be okay butting them tight but you could give them a minimal expansion gap as 1/8" or so would probably be more than sufficient.

I am not going to comment on the methods that are out there as they are numerous. You could do a parquet look you could do a random lay the design possibilities are endless as is the method of attaching them to the walls but like I said as far as expansion and contraction I would not worry about it too much.

Good luck and be safe!
Paragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement