Appropriate "sistering" Methods - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 123pugsy

Old 08-05-2016, 04:17 AM   #1
Renovating My Land Yacht

Rewards Points: 616

Appropriate "sistering" methods

2 questions.

1- 2 x 6 interior wall non load bearing. Its 2 x 6 because of the cast iron vent stack. Some numb-nut in the past decided it would be a good idea to cut the bottoms off of some of the 2 x 6 as well as there are a couple with water damage from the flood. There is also the missing bottom plate. How far up past the cut should the additional sister stud be? Is there some rule on how much bigger the support stud should be? Photo attached for giggles. Ignore the plumbing its all coming out.

2. The side tub wall is crooked. I want to make this level so that the bath is straight and for the tile backer. Is it okay if I sister some studs next to the current ones but have them jut out to make the wall straight? Its not out a huge amount but its enough to need to be fixed.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Appropriate "sistering" methods-final-back-wall.jpg  
forcedreno2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2016, 06:11 AM   #2
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 1,530

Re: Appropriate "sistering" methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedreno2012 View Post
2 questions.

1- 2 x 6 interior wall non load bearing. Its 2 x 6 because of the cast iron vent stack. Some numb-nut in the past decided it would be a good idea to cut the bottoms off of some of the 2 x 6 as well as there are a couple with water damage from the flood. There is also the missing bottom plate. How far up past the cut should the additional sister stud be? Is there some rule on how much bigger the support stud should be? Photo attached for giggles. Ignore the plumbing its all coming out.

2. The side tub wall is crooked. I want to make this level so that the bath is straight and for the tile backer. Is it okay if I sister some studs next to the current ones but have them jut out to make the wall straight? Its not out a huge amount but its enough to need to be fixed.

Thanks
Non load bearing, no rules apply. The studs are just basically drywall (and tile) "holders".
Do anything you like to true up the walls to get them straight.
48" (half an 8'er) would be enough to go up with. 5' is better, or full height to help straighten out the wall if required.
forcedreno2012 and de-nagorg like this.
forcedreno2012 (08-05-2016), JazMan (08-05-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2016, 01:04 PM   #3
Renovating My Land Yacht

I like the "no rules apply". Thanks. I will go 5 feet then. I have to replace the two that hold the shower stack completely but other than that I think the highest damage is less than 2 feet. The new plumbing will have to turn the corner on the left of the pic so I'm going to drill the pipe holes for those two before I put them up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2016, 07:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Non load bearing, no rules apply. The studs are just basically drywall (and tile) "holders".
Do anything you like to true up the walls to get them straight.
48" (half an 8'er) would be enough to go up with. 5' is better, or full height to help straighten out the wall if required.
I would rephrase that as any thing you like within reason, You still need a solid stud going from bottom to top every 24" or a header with proper king stud trimmer on any span greater than 24". It looks like OP is pushing 64" plus without a solid stud.The correct solution is to cut out all the crappy plumbing and install new studs then drill new holes in them. also, it looks like you got a short turn elbow at the bottom on that stack, thats a no no. all that plumbing just looks like ****e and needs to be corrected. try posting this picture in the plumbing section i would like to see their reaction.
Mingledtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mingledtrash For This Useful Post:
forcedreno2012 (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 07:36 PM   #5
Renovating My Land Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingledtrash View Post
I would rephrase that as any thing you like within reason, You still need a solid stud going from bottom to top every 24" or a header with proper king stud trimmer on any span greater than 24". It looks like OP is pushing 64" plus without a solid stud.The correct solution is to cut out all the crappy plumbing and install new studs then drill new holes in them. also, it looks like you got a short turn elbow at the bottom on that stack, thats a no no. all that plumbing just looks like ****e and needs to be corrected. try posting this picture in the plumbing section i would like to see their reaction.
Yeah they have already had a laugh at the plumbing...this is but a small part of the crap in there. As noted above the plumbing is coming out.

I see what you mean about the span though. Its like that across the back wall. The right wall with the tub is fine they are all whole. I may just put full length sisters in and be done with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement