Any Trick To Putting A Chimney Through Vinyl Siding? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 264

Any trick to putting a chimney through vinyl siding?

I am installing a wood burner. I wanted to get a through-the-wall chimney kit, but they are ridiculously priced (over $300!)

Is there anything special I need to do, or do I just cut a hole with a recip saw?

What is the best way to keep the hole from leaking? Should I use silicon, or would something like roof patch work better?
tibberous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibberous View Post
I am installing a wood burner. I wanted to get a through-the-wall chimney kit, but they are ridiculously priced (over $300!)

Is there anything special I need to do, or do I just cut a hole with a recip saw?

What is the best way to keep the hole from leaking? Should I use silicon, or would something like roof patch work better?
You should spend the $300 for the kit. Its designed so that the weather is kept out and the house doesn't burn down.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2011, 10:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
You should spend the $300 for the kit. Its designed so that the weather is kept out and the house doesn't burn down.
$300 though? That's a lot of money to put a pipe through a wall.

Besides, I'm broke - my plan for heating my house this winter is to burn things I find for free: Craigslist stuff, dead trees, abandon wood buildings, cardboard... pretty much anything I can get without having to drive real far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2011, 12:04 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
$300 though? That's a lot of money to put a pipe through a wall.

Besides, I'm broke - my plan for heating my house this winter is to burn things I find for free: Craigslist stuff, dead trees, abandon wood buildings, cardboard... pretty much anything I can get without having to drive real far.
Keep in mind that if your place burns down, with you in it; you'll be a long time dead!
Sometimes in life we can cut corners, but the heating system for your home isn't one of them.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:02 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,130

I'm afraid you have no idea what you're doing. Spend the $300 and do things right. An improperly installed chimney connector is quite dangerous.

What sort of chimney do you have that you want to connect to? You can't just run a pipe through your wall and call it good. For safety and proper draft, you must have a chimney the goes up above your roof line. That alone will cost a whole lot more than $300. If you're as broke as you say, I'd figure out a Plan B.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
For safety and proper draft, you must have a chimney the goes up above your roof line
Really?

I was just planning on sticking the pipe horizontally out through the wall, with just enough slope that rain wouldn't run down it. I was thinking about maybe adding a screen to keep birds / leaves out.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:37 AM   #7
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

For cryin' out loud, it takes you a few days of work to set aside enough to do the job right and safe. DON'T SCRIMP on something you aren't fully knowledgeable of. You're paying for their expertise and research and testing, qualifying the product for the necessary safety regulations, as well as just the materials.

Do you go cheap on tires and brakes for your wife's car?
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:41 AM   #8
the Musigician

Quote:
Really?
Absolutely! Please heed md2lgyk's advise.
Your safety comes first!

DM
Old 09-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #9
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Do you go cheap on tires and brakes for your wife's car?
That would depend upon any number of things..... how she drives.... how much she drives.... where she drives..... how much you'll collect from the insurance policy....

DM
Willie T (09-25-2011)
Old 09-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 5,348

Quote:
Really?

I was just planning on sticking the pipe horizontally out through the wall, with just enough slope that rain wouldn't run down it. I was thinking about maybe adding a screen to keep birds / leaves out.
This would would fall into the "cheap, stupid" catagory of home renovation practices. Where the homeowner has no understanding of the consequences of his actions. Is then explained what they are and still proceeds with his course of action.
If this is what you plan, I can save you even more money. Use a cardboard sonotube for the vent through the wall.
You'll only be using the wood stove one time anyway.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
rossfingal (09-25-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement