Any Threads About Building A Detached Garage? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2015, 08:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 169

Any threads about building a detached garage?

Hi Guys,
I'm thinking about building a detached garage in my backyard and not sure where to start.
I did a few searches here, but couldn't find any posts that talked much about it. Maybe I was looking in the wrong forum, but thought I'd ask here to see if anyone knows of any posts documenting a garage build? I didn't see anything in the project showcase section either.
Thanks for any help!
52Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2015, 08:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Caddy View Post
Hi Guys,
I'm thinking about building a detached garage in my backyard and not sure where to start.
I did a few searches here, but couldn't find any posts that talked much about it. Maybe I was looking in the wrong forum, but thought I'd ask here to see if anyone knows of any posts documenting a garage build? I didn't see anything in the project showcase section either.
Thanks for any help!
you first need to decide if you want a concrete floor or do you want to build it like a pole barn

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk
Wayne1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2015, 08:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 169

I'd be going concrete.
I'm hoping to find some post that talk about costs and designs and such.
52Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2015, 09:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2

You can go to a home improvement store and get a book on different designs and they have pre planned designs with the cost and materials needed

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk
Wayne1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:25 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,348

There are websites all over the internet about garage plans. Pick one you like. Build it, or have it delivered on the base you want. Cost vary with design and build type.
If your locale requires plans and permits, look into it.
Think of it as the DIY part of the project.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:02 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,652

52caddy go to your county and get the Platt for your property, that shows lot lines and where the setback is allowed. Also get height requirements and if they limit the size of the garage.

If you want to get ideas, go talk to your neighbors if any have detached units. You can actually order the units per spec and walls pre made, so that all you have to do is lift and secure, then put up the trusses and start putting on the plywood. If you have enough people, you can actually get one up in a Weekend, where the Plywood is covered with the Tyvek and the Shingles are on the roof. Then you can spend another weekend getting the siding on, door installed and sit back to enjoy.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:06 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 6,652

If you just do a search for "Garage Plans". you can choose at your leisure.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:20 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Caddy View Post
Hi Guys,
Thanks for any help!
think there are lots of posts over here...
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7
jcrizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:49 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
52caddy go to your county and get the Platt for your property, that shows lot lines and where the setback is allowed. Also get height requirements and if they limit the size of the garage.
I just got through building a 36'x 28' detached. You first need to do this ^^^. The actual deciding on what style, size... was the hardest part. Take a drive around for the different styles or look at actual plans for ideas.

Lot of helpful folks here as far as the construction, but you need to first decide what you can and want to build.
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement