Another Cold Floor Thread - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2009, 08:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Another cold floor thread

My house build in 1994 has 2 garage stalls under the bedrooms with no garage doors. so its a big 600 sqft room with no doors .... i brought it 3 months ago and down the rood do intend to make it garages.

Now the bedrooms have hardwood and are cold. as the garages have no drywall its had studs 2X8 or 2X6 [i will measure it tonight] with fiberglass batts R19 with the paper towards the garage ceiling. the entire thing is covered by plastic sheet facing the inside .

How do i go about fixing

1)Cold floors
2)2 vapor barrier i am sure is not good but it keeps the fiberglass from falling on your head i guess
3)I recently spilled gasoline in their and my entire house smelled like gas for more than a day as it cameup.

i need some ideas on how to approach this and eventually come to a pt when i have 2 garages in a year or so.I do not want to do improvement which might have to be teared down later.
satz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

1) Use radiant heat between the floor joists
2) Vapor barrier over insulation is not code. batt insulation must be covered with drywall or other approved fire rated materials. Also you need 5/8" minimum drywall. Two layers is preferred for living areas over a garage.
3) The foil faced rigid insulation will be installed to reflect the heat into the room above and add even more protection from fumes and more R-Value.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2009, 07:56 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

I definitely doing the radiant on the bathroom section of the floor.

anyway , i measure the depth of the joist and it is around 9 inches with 16 center to center gap. their is only 6 1/2 inch insulation of R19 is in thier held up by wires.

How about this product http://www.insulation4less.com/prodex_ffmf.asp
i can put a layer off it and then install the insulation i have back in their.so i would get R21 + R20 around R40 for the bedroom floors and with in the 9 inch of space ?.

I think the major culprit i see is the insulation is not uptight on the floor boards and wind can easily get to it. if i paint this with vapour sealing paint and then get R40 before installing two[only one is required but heck my kids and wife are up their and i prefer 2] 5/8 sheet rock i can get a tight enough setup .any thoughts on this ?.

Do i need spl thing done to support 2 layers of 5/8 insulation on the ceiling or a normal wooden beam is good enough to support it ?.
satz

Last edited by satz; 02-24-2009 at 07:59 AM.
satz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement