Advice On Replacing Floor Joist - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2019, 08:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 274

Advice on replacing floor joist

There was a gas fireplace in my living room that was built from the ground through my floor. Only two things in my house ever ran on gas and they were both disconnected. The only thing that runs on gas it's the combined unit outside for heat.

I removed the fireplace down to the base which is even with my living room floor. There is a floor joist that runs behind that base. That joist is rotted basically in the middle of the joist behind that brick base. Is probably rotted a little past halfway through, enough for the joist debates we have no support because it's coming apart and so brittle and weak.

There was mortar across the top of that joist and my theory is the moisture from that mortar rotted that joist and then there's a tiny section just behind that mortar that is rotted just a little bit on the subfloor in my bedroom. It's important to note that the subfloor in the living room and the rest of the house are two separate sections of subfloor.

I need to fill in that section of floor, but I need a joist there to support the sub floor. the joist is actually fine on the left and right side of where it is rotted. I haven't gotten under the house yet completely to see where the piers are for that joist. I'm not sure if cutting it and then just sistering joist to it is the way to go or what. there actually needs to be a joist in front of it. The joists under the living room are kind of far apart, but to be fair the joists are beefy due to being placed in 1915 but there needs to be a joist in the middle of the 2 existing joists toward back of living room because support seems a Little weak.

I have I have two pictures. The way the front of my house is, there is a brick Foundation under the back living room wall. I'm sure they did that because that is one of the biggest walls in the house and it is plaster and lathe so they wanted to make sure there was enough support. So you have that brick Foundation then the rotted joist then the brock base. You can see everything in the pictures. They're not great detail because I don't have any lights in my living room and it's so big that the lamp doesn't carry. my house is just 26 ft wide from the front to the back.

Thanks

https://imgur.com/gallery/ePkx6py

Last edited by wagoner; 01-20-2019 at 08:11 PM.
wagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2019, 08:28 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 1,512

Re: Advice on replacing floor joist

Dig away all the rot and see what you are left with. If there is enough left to support the wall and you kill the rot, you might get away with just another running thru on this side of it.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2019, 09:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Dig away all the rot and see what you are left with. If there is enough left to support the wall and you kill the rot, you might get away with just another running thru on this side of it.

It's not supporting a wall. All it supports is floor. It's right in front of that wall.That wall sits on a different section of subfloor cut flush with the bottom plate. Its rotted clean through. I think it makes more sense to address this now will I have easy access to it. The top of the joist is all rotted away and that's what I have to set the subfloor on top of.

https://imgur.com/gallery/08bO7iD

Last edited by wagoner; 01-20-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2019, 10:21 PM   #4
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoner View Post
It's not supporting a wall. All it supports is floor. It's right in front of that wall.That wall sits on a different section of subfloor cut flush with the bottom plate. Its rotted clean through. I think it makes more sense to address this now will I have easy access to it. The top of the joist is all rotted away and that's what I have to set the subfloor on top of.

https://imgur.com/gallery/08bO7iD
Are the good ends supported from blow some how?
Old 01-20-2019, 10:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Are the good ends supported from blow some how?

The good ends being the section of subfloor under that wall? Yeas, there is a brick wall / foundation. You can see it on the left through the floor in pictures in first post.

Basically, I have a joist that runs right in front of that wall that supports the edges of the subfloor. There's a hole where fireplace base came through floor I wanna patch, but the joist is rotten where the edge of my patch would be.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:06 PM   #6
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoner View Post
The good ends being the section of subfloor under that wall? Yeas, there is a brick wall / foundation. You can see it on the left through the floor in pictures in first post.

Basically, I have a joist that runs right in front of that wall that supports the edges of the subfloor. There's a hole where fireplace base came through floor I wanna patch, but the joist is rotten where the edge of my patch would be.
Just cut it off a little into the good wood on both ends so we can see what is going on behind that. replacing it with a filler and maybe a 2x4 sistered right thru. Just have to get all the rot out first.
When you think you have a bad out paint the wood around it with a copper treatment to kill anything that is left.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-qt-Cop...-QTS/202688831
Old 01-21-2019, 01:11 AM   #7

If I cut all the rot off, there'd be a tiny section and that joist would collapse. Behind it is just a gap then the brick foundation they put under that wall. There is a little rot on the sub floor just past it and a tiny bit on the bottom plate, but I can cut that bit out.

That product says, "For Exterior Use Only. Do not use on subfloors and in craw spaces. Shall not be used in the construction of beehives."
Old 01-23-2019, 03:16 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 796

You can attach a sister board through bolt it to the existing joist. It will provide the support needed for the floor and there are no issues with the building codes in doing this repair.

For preventing dry rot or termites I treat wood with Bora-Care that uses borax in a glycol solution. 100% safe for people and pets. It can be applied with a small garden sprayer to the wood.
Calson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement