Advice Needed -Insulation Basement Reno - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2017, 06:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Advice Needed -Insulation Basement Reno

HI All,

I have a Triplex built in 1969. I am renovating the basement and have removed all Hardwood paneling. I will be installing drywall. Behind the walls I have found NO indication of mold or water infiltration. As for insulation there is original Pink R7 insulation from 1969. Concrete foundation walls are not sealed with any paint noe any vapor barrier.

Advice: Help! Do I remove the 1969 insulation and replace with higher R rating insulation? Do I paint a sealer on concrete? Do I install a vapour barrier? Or just install my drywall and not touch anything since everything seems fine and dry ?

As for heating in the winter months the basement is heated with a wood fireplace and ceiling radiant heating.

What do I do ? Thanks for anything you guys recommend.
Montreal_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2017, 12:08 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,102

Re: Advice Needed -Insulation Basement Reno

With the previous wood paneling, the fiberglass insulation, and no sealing or paint on the walls that foundation has been drying nicely to the inside. It isn't necessarily water coming through but water vapor which is always trying to equalize the dry basement with the moisture in the soil. If a vapor barrier were to be installed then that slow movement of moisture vapor would accumulate until the wall is just as moist as the ground outside.

One line of thinking is to add a layer of rigid insulation directly against the foundation and then your framed walls with cavities filled with the remaining required insulation. If your framing is already in place as long as codes will allow it to stay there then another option would be to insulate with Roxul, it does well in basements and will continue to allow that vapor to pass right through. Here is some reading:
https://buildingscience.com/document...ts?full_view=1

As a note there are different approaches to insulating basement and the bottom line for what you choose is dependent upon your basement and what your local codes require.

Bud
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud9051 For This Useful Post:
Montreal_Guy (05-08-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2017, 06:11 AM   #3
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 1,442

If your codes match Ontario codes, they will call for a vapour barrier.
I refused to use one so I had to use spray foam.

If no inspections, use the Roxul as mentioned above with the foam board first, with no vapour barrier.
You already have proof that it's not required and no moisture trap has been created.

Google "basement vapor barrier mold" and click images.
Montreal_Guy (05-08-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2017, 08:08 PM   #4

Thanks bud 9051 1 there are no inspections done in my area. The framing is also already up. I just need to figure out now if I put the rigid then the Roxul or just the Roxul without the rigid.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:11 PM   #5

Thanks Pugsy. No inspections and I'm guessing we have the same codes as you. If I increase my R rating why should I put rigid then Roxul ? How about just going about with Roxul only? I'm wondering the difference of thick hardwood paneling and Drywall would be?
Old 05-09-2017, 06:36 AM   #6
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 1,442

Roxul only is fine. How much space do you have from the front of the studs to the foundation wall? You can never have too much insulation in a basement. But never squeeze it in.

What exactly is thick hardwood paneling?
You want to know the difference in price? Neither has any R value if that's what you mean.

You can't go wrong with drywall and then worry about wall finishes later.
Advertisement