Advice On How To Redistribute The $ For Shoring Up Of Earth Retention - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2014, 10:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Advice on how to redistribute the $ for shoring up of earth retention

I have a situation that I need some advice on. As part of the basement construction, the sub contractor (to my GC) working on the excavation was concerned about the stability of the soil, (They did the geo-technical and engineering for the basement). Any how as a safety concern they recommended shot-creting the earth (with the appropriate wire mesh etc).

The question, as the home owner am I expected to pick up this cost of $12000, and do you consider this a change order? The argument is they did not want their workers to suffer a dirt cave in when they were working on the water proofing in the trench between the dirt and the pony wall.
irieblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2014, 11:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 626

Yep you hired them to do the job. and the cost for them to do it. Sorry that is how the construction industry works. you could have done your do diligence aka home work and made sure what was needed before the work was started and what it would entail. They did the job right and yes you have to pay the bill.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2014, 09:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 264

No. Stop the work. They did not find it and they have the part responsibility, at least. They happily dug it out (and there are risks while digging), they have to eat the cost of making it safe for their workers.

Minimum you can do is get the documents, take photo and soil samples, explore cheaper ways to shore up (what, 8' of dirt?) and get a second opinion. Land slides is something that can be foreseen (even as a rough chance) before the digging begins.

Say where you are, post photos and go talk to your local inspector. You may find nobody wants to say who's right/wrong/criminal. But the building practice is fairly specific and must begin with some problems expected. $12000 extra work is way out of line for a basement addition that is not changed by you.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I am located in Northern California (San Francisco Bay area), where you typically don't do basements, and both labor and material costs are higher as a result.

The earth retention was for roughly 8' high dirt walls. This work was done a while ago, so I'd have to go dig up the photos. We moved into the house at the end of July 2014 after 14 months of construction.

In reviewing the final payment I am trying to understand if the Charges and Contractor fee over head are justified. ie.

(1) $12000 fee on top of the $80000, basement and foundation fee for shoring up the basement walls to protect the workers.

(2) 15% Contractor fee on item 1

(3) $16,000 grading fee and dirt haul away at end of project that was not in bid.

I have already graded one on tear down and foundation prep

(4) 15% Contractor fee on item 3

Where I am going with all this, is What is the incentive of a general contractor to keep his client on budget for the scope of work.
irieblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
DIYer/PoleMonkey

Rewards Points: 262

Advice on how to redistribute the $ for shoring up of earth retention

Are you saying the Sub did the geotechnical engineering? Soil samples and whatever before the digging commenced? If so, I would question why that concern wasn't presented before hand. Low bid goes high.

The add on for 12k seems crazy. You didn't approve before the expense was billed?

Last edited by clw1963; 09-02-2014 at 11:58 AM.
clw1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:48 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,910

What does the contract say? That's what it always come down to.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:56 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
Yep you hired them to do the job. and the cost for them to do it. Sorry that is how the construction industry works. you could have done your do diligence aka home work and made sure what was needed before the work was started and what it would entail. They did the job right and yes you have to pay the bill.
Was it not the GCs job to do said homework and tell OP what it will cost to build the home? That's part of the purpose of the GC. Home owner is not expected to be the expert. GC is. If GC bid $x to build house then the only thing homeowner should pay is $x. He should not pay additional for GCs omission since then the bidding process becomes a farce. If there are additional changes requested by homeowner then homeowner should pay for those changes. But this was not a homeowner requested change.

In the end it comes down to the contract.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
Don't WANNA do it myself

Rewards Points: 512

I'm not sure about 1, sometimes unexpected things come up but you should have been notified. 2 seems excessive.

3 and 4 - no way. They were digging a basement, obviously haul away and proper grading is part of that. Those two items should have been part of the initial bid and not add-ons.

Fixing the re-muddling one room at a time...
mnp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mnp13 For This Useful Post:
wkearney99 (09-02-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement