Adding A Second Story - Framing Question - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2016, 12:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

adding a second story - framing question

I will be adding a second story to our current one-story home (yes, will get engineer approval, permits, etc.)

My hope is to work on the project incrementally, which for me means adding walls and a roof over the preexisting roof.

One possible hitch: the current rafters sit on a single 2X4 sole plate. My plan is to frame a wall on and then add trusses. This will be no different from how "normal construction" does a second floor, but there is no subfloor beneath the sole. Can I still use it as the sole, or do I need to rip out everything and start over (a much more complex project, since it means fully exposing my house to rain/elements)?

Thanks
byshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2016, 12:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 8,114

Re: adding a second story - framing question

A traditional single story home will have ceiling joists resting on top of a double top plate, but no band joist running across the ends of those joists. And the joists will probably not be tall enough to support the second floor.

A picture from outside would help.

The "incremental" approach is going to be hard. more info and maybe we can suggest an approach.

One caution, your lender if you have a mortgage and your insurance company need to approve any major deconstruction and sometimes they don't like inexperienced home owners starting something without a history of being able to finish it. They hate ending up with half completed projects so requiring a contractor of record is how they avoid that.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2016, 01:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Bud;

All very good points. The mortgage will be paid off before the project is undertaken. The insurance will be able to see a guest house I've half stripped and completed as evidence I can complete a project.

In crawling around in the attic, the joists are 2X8s, 24 OC. I will need to double these in order to span the 13ft, 9in ID. There is indeed an outside band and the joists butt against it. On top of that (but lacking a 3/4 subfloor in between) is the 2X4 (flat) that supports all the current rafters.

Honestly, I'd prefer to simply lay down scissors trusses and avoid a new wall altogether. Some modest math would allow me to calculate the gap I have to rip open above the perimeter to scab them in. The only intimidating part, honestly, is having to cut a more complicated "trench" around the perimeter.

Other option: get a scissor truss with some sort of "leg" (if these are even a real thing) that simply raises the whole truss frame 18 inches up and out of the way of my current roof (allowing me to cut my simple channel around the perimeter).

In any case, standby for a photo.
byshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2016, 03:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 84

You should really be speaking to your engineer about this as its him that will have to "OK" anything you plan on doing...
davidmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 8,114

Pictures will probably answer this question, but there are two types of overhang, TCO and BCO. TCO is top chord overhang and BCO is bottom chord overhang. Since your rafters are resting on a flat 2x4 on top of your band joist I assume you have TCO.

From your description it sounds like you aren't headed to a full wall second story, but more of a cape.

Just thinking out loud, consider leaving your current rafter tails and soffits where they are. Open the roof above them, but not over the living space, and attach the new trusses to the rafter tails with support down to the shingled roof. Once all trusses are in place the roof and walls could be covered with sheathing and essentially dried out.

Then you could clean up things from the inside removing what you don't need. Capes will have side attics where the remains of your old rafter tails would be.

Now, just pondering, but crazier things have been done. Short story. Horse farm and owner wanted to replace his old dilapidated barn but town said no because it was too close to the road. So, he went to work and built an entirely new barn inside his old one. He then asked for a permit to tear down his old bard and the town gladly approved. Once removed his handy work was revealed (his new barn) and last I knew it was still there.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement