4 Car Garage Apt - New Construction Elevating For Floodplain - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2009, 02:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

4 car garage apt - new construction Elevating for floodplain

I currently own a lot next to my primary residence that I would like to build a 4-car garage (25 deep by 45-50 wide, 12 foot ceilings) with a gameroom/storage area above (10' ceiling).

I would need to elevate the bottom floor above the flood plain. In my area this is 10-15 feet

Is their a site (or knowledgable person on here) for estimating the cost and detailing the process of bringing in fill dirt to build a slab on a hill?

EDIT...after some reading I see that
Asking for estimates is discouraged
$27ish a square foot (counting both floors) is a fair ballpark figure for the garage.

The only variable left is the slab. I don't know anything about how to go about raising one that high to prevent flooding...

Last edited by jdb8805; 07-30-2009 at 02:52 PM.
jdb8805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2009, 05:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

if i understand you correctly you need to raise the gararge floor?
this prcess is not complicated but my very in price depending on the availablity of good clay fill....you need whats known as a raised slab...esentially and concrete block box full of dirt with concrete on top..
ropers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ropers View Post
if i understand you correctly you need to raise the gararge floor?
this prcess is not complicated but my very in price depending on the availablity of good clay fill....you need whats known as a raised slab...esentially and concrete block box full of dirt with concrete on top..
Yes that sounds correct. Is there a technical term for this so I can sound like I know what I'm talking about when searching for a contractor to do it?

Does the "raised" area have to sit for a while to "settle" before pouring the slab on top?
jdb8805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement