3/8 Rib Lath Installation To Joists - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2010, 07:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

3/8 Rib Lath installation to joists

Hello,

I am installing 3/8 Rib Lath on a ceiling in my house and have the ASTM 1063 information but am missing some details to ensure I get this correct.
Can someone help please?

Using galvanized fasteners...

Here is the section from the ASTM....

"7.10.2.3 Expanded 3⁄8 in. (9.5 mm) rib lath shall be attached
to horizontal and vertical wood framing members with nails or
staples to provide not less than 1 3⁄4-in. (44.5-mm) penetration
into horizontal wood framing members, and 3⁄4-in. (19.1-mm)
penetration into vertical wood framing members."

I know the rib has to be in contact with the joist.
If I nail through the rib it will distort the rib when the nail head enters the rib. How can you nail the 3/8 Rib Lath to the joists?

If I go with the staple.... There is mention of using a staple with 3/4 crown for the walls but no specifics for the ceiling other than penetrating 1 3/4 inch.
Since it is 3/8" wide rib can I use a 3/8 wide staple that is 2" long, it would need to be 2" long if I straddle the rib because the rib is ~1/4 tall and there needs to be 1 3/4 penetration.

I have been searching the internet for a few days and have 4 or 5 hours researching into this and haven't found any definitive instruction on this. I am hoping there is someone here who has experience with this.

Thanks,

Jeffrey
jefsboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement