24' X 18' Shop With Attic - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2019, 01:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

24' x 18' shop with attic

Here's my first problem (lol, first...more to come). I'm building a shop for woodworking and such, plus I have a grand daughter. I want to build this shop with a play area in the attic for when she's old enough to enjoy it. She's just turning into a toddler now, so plenty of time. Here's my quandary: what roof pitch would i need to make a 5' high attic room for her? I planned on having the trusses go across the 18' span but I don't know how high it should be to make that kind of room. I flunked Pythagorean in school so the math totally escapes me and I've basically scared myself too much to think straight.

I'm wanting to do more with this play area, like use it as a setting for showing the toys, furniture and knickknacks I make, too. Make it look like a little house for my little person . We were thinking of buying a playhouse but when I decided on this shop it seemed like a natural extension of it's usefulness to give little Reyna her own place.

Anyway, thanks for indulging me and much appreciation for your help!
557865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2019, 01:15 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 5,140

Re: 24' x 18' shop with attic

How wide do you want her play area to be and at what working height at the edges?
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2019, 01:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 8

Re: 24' x 18' shop with attic

Hi, Windows on Wash. See, that's part of my problem. I want it as wide as possible but not so wide that the roof is as tall as the main building. Lengthwise she'll have 24 feet that can be walled off into rooms. But the 18 ft width...just as much can be without doubling the building height...um basically. I'd like it to be a flat ceiling rather than A-frame, if that's not too much of a limit.
557865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
attic , pitch , playroom , roof , shop