1919 Wood Frame Building. Reframed Corner, Studs, - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2017, 02:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 213

1919 Wood Frame Building. Reframed corner, studs,

We have been working on a 1919 wood frame building. It's two stories and we completely gutted this corner to do the framing work.

The corner had a scupper that was leaking long term into the wood corner post ( termite and rot) and we have replaced and rebuilt the corner area.

We added HDU hold downs and sistered or replaced all the studs:

Does this corner now look decent to you? We have the HDU2 hold down and reinforced the pad from the outside. We also bolted down the mudsill with PT wood and anchored into the small cement footing (which feels pretty strong to me)

Questions:

How does this general framing look for the corner? Any suggestions on making it stronger before we drywall?

I was thinking of adding plywood for a shear wall but perhaps after the electric/plumbing

Should we just tuck new black tar paper as you can see it's damaged with the old stucco? (which is wood lath but holding up.) (We re-stuccoed the Right side of the corner, as well which was really bad)

Or could we paint the inside cement with a waterproofer? Any suggestions? Like there's the black one that you roll onto foundations but I can't think of the name. Anyone know?

In the photos below the corner being reinforced has the blue ladder. We put an HDU2 hold down and bolted down the mud sill.
Attached Thumbnails
1919 Wood Frame Building.  Reframed corner, studs,-img_7016.jpg   1919 Wood Frame Building.  Reframed corner, studs,-img_7011.jpg   1919 Wood Frame Building.  Reframed corner, studs,-img_8265.jpg   1919 Wood Frame Building.  Reframed corner, studs,-img_8808.jpg  

Last edited by crayola110; 05-05-2017 at 02:16 PM.
crayola110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2017, 02:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 708

Re: 1919 Wood Frame Building. Reframed corner, studs,

Platform framed?
Missing drywall backing in that corner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2017, 12:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,066

Re: 1919 Wood Frame Building. Reframed corner, studs,

More important than what a bunch of yahoos on the internets say is what does your building inspector say?

Like most people here, I'm not up on SoCal seismic requirements but I'd think that's one thing you'd want to consider. A shear wall might be required, or at least might be a good idea.
I wouldn't apply any liquid sealers to that stucco without a real expert weighing in. From my limited stucco knowledge, tar paper is the ideal backer for stucco because it's actually somewhat breathable. This blocks bulk water from getting in, but still allows excess moisture to migrate out without keeping it in the walls to rot. It's a pretty small section missing the tar paper, so I'd just replace it there as best you can.
NotyeruncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement