Workshop Lighting - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-16-2009, 07:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

workshop lighting

Built a 60x72x20 workshop. Starting on elec plans. Considering using T5 HO lights. Need help figuring out lamp size, how many and how to space them. Also should I look at wall lighting on the perimeter aimed inwards to eliminate shadows? Thanks
keldfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 528

I'm not familiar with neon tube lighting but I would in fact suggest to put some near the walls unless there's other reasons not to. I'm a big fan of doing that as I find it creates a better light and no shadows.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2009, 07:01 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

2-3 watts per square foot is the rule I have always used.
Oxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2009, 02:11 AM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Keldfarmer .,

There are quite few diffrent low bay flourscent luminaire you can use and they will come in 4 or 6 even 8 tube verison but 4 et 6 tubes are most common.

The 6 tube verison { 54 W T5HO } have slightly more light level than 400 watt Metal Halide when it is new however when the bulb age the T5 have pretty steady consant light output thruout the bulb life so it will be brighter than 400 W MH plus use less power it the same as you see alot in big box store used simauir set up.

for simair size shop which I have the total of low bay 400 W HID MH is 20 of them but they are grouped so I only can turn on as I want to so not everything come on the same time { BTW this shop is classifed as commercal so I can able use 480Y277 volts in there }

And yeah I do keep few flourscent two are above my workbench and one at main service door.

With T5 HO's genrally they work pretty well in low tempture as well but take couple minutes to get fully warm up.

What kind of work you will be doing in the shop just basic work or very specfic work type { like sanding or painting (that may raise new issue )}

But check with one of your local lighting designer I am sure they will be more than happy to help you to slect the correct one.

I know many peoples normaly say 8 foot T-12 HO I know they still sell it but IMO they are ok for genral useage however only one quirks I hate is you will hear ballast noise espcally magantic ballast and all the T5HO are electronic never maganitc at all so it will be very quiet.

Cost wise between the 6 lamp low bay florurscent VS. 250/400 W MH low bay both are about right on par on cost wise.

The 6 lamper will roughly cost about 250 while 4 lamper will be about 150 give or take few Euros.

but that price is only for rough estame so the actual price will varies a bit.

If more question just holler one of us will give you more details.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:01 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by keldfarmer View Post
Considering using T5 HO lights.
Need help figuring out lamp size, how many and how to space them. Also should I look at wall lighting on the perimeter aimed inwards to eliminate shadows? Thanks
You have spec's on those lights? Your ceiling height is 20' and your worksurface will be at 3'?

Illuminance
(lux)

School classrooms, Kitchen work areas, office lighting 300 to 500
Garment manufacture - sewing, Supermarket 750
Instrument assembly 1500
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement