Wiring Two Devices - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2016, 06:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Wiring two devices

I'm putting in service wiring for a new heat pump unit and a nearby hot tub enclosure. Two 50 amp circuits plus one 20 amp circuit for a couple outlets by hot tub for lights, stereo, etc.
The power is coming from an indoor 200 amp main panel. I am planning a large conduit inside the wall to an outside wall in porch. Large junction box (no joints planned, just a feed through), then fed to an exterior porch wall to a large junction box. from there, an underground pvc conduit to AC disconnect, and another PVC conduit to hot tub area.
The heat pump does not need a neutral, but the hot tub does(for the control circuit board).
So far, it looks like the first conduit will contain 4 #6, 2 #12 conductors.
For ground, can I use one conductor for all and splice to the three circuits? What size should that ground be?
Or should I run separate ground for each system?
(I was an electrician in the 70s, mostly commercial and industrial installations and service, so my residential and official code knowledge is a bit rusty. I can make it safe, but it's probably good if I can make it legal, too. It seems that the electrical systems for a sixty foot bridge crane are not that much like a hot tub!)
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2016, 07:36 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 404

Re: Wiring two devices

One ground is enough. It needs to be sized to the largest circuit. That means you need #6 for ground.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2016, 08:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
One ground is enough. It needs to be sized to the largest circuit. That means you need #6 for ground.
I thought that a 50 amp circuit only requires #10 ground, legally. Logically speaking, a ground only carries any current for mere microseconds before the breaker trips.
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2016, 07:28 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,084

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
I thought that a 50 amp circuit only requires #10 ground, legally. Logically speaking, a ground only carries any current for mere microseconds before the breaker trips.
Hot tubs sometimes require a grounding conductor equal in size to the power conductors. Read the installation manual. The electrical inspector will be going by the manufacturer's requirements.

MrElectrician.TV
MrElectricianTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
conduit , ground wire , wiring