Wiring Series Of Outlets To One GFCI - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2019, 08:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 726

Wiring series of outlets to one GFCI

I was looking at a wiring diagram and they had an example to give a regular none GFCI outlet protection from a GCI.

One example they had 3 GFCI outlets in series using the line screw to go to each GFCI ending with the last wires coming from the last GFCI load screw giving the last regular outlet protection.

But why should you buy all these GFCI outlets at a substantial expense over regular outlets when you can take one GFCI outlet and hook up the first of a series of regular outlets to the load screw of the first GFCI then the following outlets will be in series hooking to each other?
JLawrence08648 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2019, 09:12 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,108

Re: Wiring series of outlets to one GFCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLawrence08648 View Post
I was looking at a wiring diagram and they had an example to give a regular none GFCI outlet protection from a GCI.

One example they had 3 GFCI outlets in series using the line screw to go to each GFCI ending with the last wires coming from the last GFCI load screw giving the last regular outlet protection.

But why should you buy all these GFCI outlets at a substantial expense over regular outlets when you can take one GFCI outlet and hook up the first of a series of regular outlets to the load screw of the first GFCI then the following outlets will be in series hooking to each other?

Usually, it is a matter of convenience. If all the downstream outlets are in the same room, it is a simple matter to reset the GFCI if it trips. The GFCI reset button right there with you. But if all the outlets are scattered around the house, then you have to go chase down the GFCI. Hopefully, you'll remember where it is.
RAL238 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2019, 09:24 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,306

Quote:

These devices have become very inexpensive over time. Certainly not as inexpensive as a regular duplex outlet but the gap is greatly closed.

I would not underestimate the value of point of use GFCI. This forum is riddled with confused home owners wondering why their bathroom GFCI keeps tripping with nothing plugged in only to discover that same GFCI covers a few outdoor outlets. So if the outlets are all grouped in the same room on the same branch circuit then maybe a single GFCI makes sense. If the outlets are in different rooms with different purposes I would discourage being penny wise and pound foolish.
curiousB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2019, 09:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 726

RAL238 and curiousB, that makes sense tripping and the GFCI is not in the same room. I can easily see a regular outlet tripping the GFCI and you have to track it down.

I was thinking a regular outlet connected to a GFCI in a quad box in the laundry room or a series of outlets in a garage or shop where you can unplug the offender!
JLawrence08648 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:19 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 460

Quote:
RAL238 and curiousB, that makes sense tripping and the GFCI is not in the same room. I can easily see a regular outlet tripping the GFCI and you have to track it down.

I was thinking a regular outlet connected to a GFCI in a quad box in the laundry room or a series of outlets in a garage or shop where you can unplug the offender!
If someone is putting two GFCIs side by side and they are on the same circuit...they didn't know what they were doing.

In a garage or shop though you may have two or more dedicated circuits which means two or more GFCIs.

In my basement finish job I had a GFCI for the countertop receptacles, workroom, garbage disposal and bathroom. All of those are on different circuits. There is technically a preexisting GFCI for a couple plugs in the workroom that also handles an outdoor receptacle and one of the sump pump. So that's 6 GFCIs for the basement that are all very much required that cannot be run off eachother.
Sdiver2489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement