DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Wiring an outdoor light

778 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Fishbulb28 
#1 ·
I'm looking to install some new lights around the outside / inside of the garage and house.
I'm looking at these models (below), I'm well versed on how to wire something that the wires are protected by fixture. But with these and a loose wire, I'm not as confident on how to wire them to code. Do I need conduit, an outdoor junction box, or something else.

I'm also thinking about installing a few inside for detailing, I'm assuming the easiest thing would be to install a plug, but I'd like to know the proper way to wire an interior light.

See less See more
#4 ·
Do I use this type of box?
It's going to depend on how you plan to install the circuit. Are you using surface mounted conduit or do you plan to use interior wiring and cut into the siding to install flush mounted boxes? Either method can be made to work.

What about wiring for an inside instillation, same type of deal?
For the first type of light, it's virtually the same except it does not need to be a weather resistant cord connector. Many NM cable connectors are also listed for flexible cord and cost 1/20 as much.

The high-bay light you pictured will need to have a plug installed (if it does not have one already) and connect to a receptacle above the light. The exception which doesn't require it for the first light does not apply to this type of fixture.

Have you seen that particular light in person while it's in use? high-bay fixtures are meant to be mounted, well, high. At normal interior heights it could be pretty overwhelming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.