Wiring A Flash Central Heating Timer Clock UK - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2017, 05:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Wiring a Flash central heating timer clock UK

Hi, I bought a new timer clock for my Grant 50-90 kerosene central heating boiler/burner unit. The back of it looks different from the old one. There are 4 wires - one red, one blue, and two brown. There are 5 places the wires could go on. When I put them in as I thought they should go (by comparing them to the old clock) it blew a fuse. I have a photo of the back of the new clock (but don't know how to insert it into this post yet) and want to know where the wires go please?
HTP 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2017, 07:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,344

Re: Wiring a Flash central heating timer clock UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTP 3 View Post
Hi, I bought a new timer clock for my Grant 50-90 kerosene central heating boiler/burner unit. The back of it looks different from the old one. There are 4 wires - one red, one blue, and two brown. There are 5 places the wires could go on. When I put them in as I thought they should go (by comparing them to the old clock) it blew a fuse. I have a photo of the back of the new clock (but don't know how to insert it into this post yet) and want to know where the wires go please?
The "Installation and Servicing Manual for this unit (http://grantengineering.ie/wp-conten...ILER-HOUSE.pdf) on page 34 shows the "Drive" motor of the "Time Clock" connected to one Blue (Neutral) wire and one Brown (Line) wire, with the Brown wire being joined at the "Common" of the "Timed Off/Constant" switch. This is a SPDT switch (in UK parlance, a two-way switch.)

Another Brown wire goes from the "Timed Off" contact of this switch to the "Common" contact of the Time Clock and yet another Brown wire goes from the "Normally Open" contact of the Time Clock to the other contact of the "Timed Off/Constant" switch.

(The diagram does not seem to indicate any Red wire in this part of the circuit BUT one may exist, due to manufacturing changes!

However, after writing the above, I found that https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Gran...annel/p/569850 shows the wires that you indicated on the Timer Clock but these are terminated in a plug connection. My best guess would be that the Red wire would be the wire coming from the Normally Open contacts of the Timer Clock, and this can be checked with a multi-meter. [i.e. It is a "Switched Line" wire.])

The diagram, the Timer/Clock itself and a multi-meter should enable you to determine which wire goes where.

While you wrote "There are 5 places the wires could go on.", you will note that the Normally Closed contact of the Time Clock is not used.

Last edited by FrodoOne; 01-25-2017 at 07:08 PM.
FrodoOne is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FrodoOne For This Useful Post:
HTP 3 (01-26-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2017, 09:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 70

How about some pictures?

Cheers!
supers05 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to supers05 For This Useful Post:
HTP 3 (01-26-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2017, 11:09 AM   #4

Got it sorted through an unlikely source, thanks for your interest.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTP 3 View Post
Got it sorted through an unlikely source, thanks for your interest.
My one ask "What was the unlikely source?".
FrodoOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 04:41 AM   #6

The unlikely source was the husband of a woman whose Doberman puppy I look after!!! But hey, a different problem has now emerged. The clock is now working. It was wired 1 to brown, 2 blue, 3 brown, 4 red. No 5 has nothing attached to it. When all the pins are pushed out on the clock and red is visible, it is off. When pins are pushed in, it triggers the heating. (This is the opposite to the previous clock.) That is fine - but after the heating has been on for the required time of e.g. one hour, the clock stops. When I reset it, it works again until the next required time when the same thing happens. I have a call in to the suppliers to see if they can throw light on the subject but haven't heard back yet. The manual overide works too. The time is set correctly. So I don't know what is wrong. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
wiring timer clock