Wiring A Ceiling Mounted Exhaust Fan In A Bathroom - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2010, 09:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Wiring a ceiling mounted exhaust fan in a bathroom

I am installing a new ceiling mounted exhaust fan in my bathroom, I want to run it so that it comes on with the light, I have a power point (non switch type that I am going to install in the roof cavity, can anyone explain or send me a quick diagram showing where to connect into and which wires go where.
Thanks
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Take a black and a white from the light to feed the fan, thats it
macdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2010, 07:44 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Electrical question on ceiling fans

Is it the same when setting up a power point in the roof for the exhaust fan to plug into, or do I cut into the light circuit prior, running the positive from the light to the positive in the fan and then the negative back to teh light?
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2010, 07:55 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

If your light is on your ceiling. Remove your light fixture. Bring a 14/2 into the box from the attic and then into your fan. You will marrett the new black with both the black or red wire feeding your light and the fan at other end of wire. You will then marrett the white at the light and the other end of the wire at the fan.

Powerpoint is a computer program.

Feed would be the correct term your looking for. IE My power feeds into the attic

If you do not have a fan already, look for a fan that has low sones (Quieter) You really do get what you pay for.
macdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #5
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Is it the same when setting up a power point in the roof for the exhaust fan to plug into, or do I cut into the light circuit prior, running the positive from the light to the positive in the fan and then the negative back to teh light?
What do you mean by "power point"? Are you talking about a receptacle/outlet?

You don't wire a bath exhaust fan and plug it in. You direct wire it. If you want it to come on whenever the light is on, You need to run 2-wire (+ ground) from the fan to your light.

Depending on how many wires you have in your switchbox, you could also run the wire from the fan to the switch.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,662

Before you go any farther I would suggest you pick up "Wiring Simplified" and do some reading.

AC wiring does not use the terms positive and negative.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:19 AM   #7
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Before you go any farther I would suggest you pick up "Wiring Simplified" and do some reading.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:45 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

Not sure what books are available where the OP is located - Australia

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:01 PM   #9
liscenced electrician

Rewards Points: 540

a 12/2 might be needed if thats whats run on that circuit, therefore since im just giving blind advice here. I would just run a 12/2

1. cut the hole for your new fan.

2. dissassemble the light from inside the bathroom to get to the box that is mounted in the cieling/wall. Ceiling would make your life a lot easier.

3. run a 12/2 romex cable from that lights box into your new fan hole. If the box is in the wall, you will need to drill from the attic down into that wall cavity

4. staple your wire to secure it, make it look as neat and professional as you can. don't leave it all twisted. straight lines here

5. disassemble the fan, put an appropriete romex connecter in your fan for the romex and get in the attic and mount your new fan enclosure

6. put the cable into your fans connector, and tighten the connector. Don't over tighten

7. Strip the cables outer insulation/extra paper off the cable in the fan box and the light box. Leave a half inch of sheath inside the boxs

8. assemble the fan

9. wire nut the black to the black on the fan, the white to the white on the fan, and the bare copper wire to either a green wire, bare wire, or put a hook on it and wrap it around a green screw if thats what they give you.

10. wire nut the bare copper wire to the other bare copper wires in the light box, the white to the other whites, and the black to the wire that went to the lights black.

11. put the light back together and mount it and assemble the fan

12. turn on power and see if it works

13. g'day mate

heres the diagram you asked for of how your light is hooked up, it will be one of two ways, with power going to the light first or power going to the switch first. I think this is just going to confuse you, all you really need to know, is you hook the white and black to the white and black on the light

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/3949/diagram.jpg

Last edited by jimmy21; 09-11-2010 at 12:16 PM.
jimmy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement