Wiring Cat5e - Totally Stumped - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2015, 10:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 50

Wiring Cat5e - totally stumped

I'm having a very hard time wiring a single ethernet cable in my house, and am reaching out for help.

The house is already pre-wired with Cat5e all throughout the house (from prior construction; not my own). There is a central box in my garage with all the wires coming into it, wherein my modem/router resides.

None of the wires are labeled and I need to figure out which one corresponds to the jack on the fourth floor where my main computer sits. Toward that end, I purchased this network tester on Amazon.

The tester is simple - when you have a connection, the 1-8 lights turn on in a sequential/cascaded fashion. I confirmed it is working by connecting the two directly with a 3-foot cable.

The jack on the fourth floor looks like this:

I am not familiar with this kind of jack. I noticed that there were two ethernet cables coming into this jack, and only some of the wires from each were connected to the screws. Because of my lack of familiarity, I just took it apart and connected regular ethernet jacks to each of the wires, using the "B" connection scheme. Like so:

Now, back to the box in the garage. The numerous ethernet cables coming into the box are unfinished on their ends. I prepared the wires and connected them all to this device in the box:

I copied the wire layout for a known working connection, namely, white, blue, white, orange, white, green, white, brown (each white being the corresponding white for the color).

After doing all this, I can't get a connection! Obviously, I could be dealing with a broken cable or maybe a missing one, but here's the rub: On one of the cables that I test, I get a blip on the network tester for wire 5 and 6. And on another cable, I get a blip on wire 8. That doesn't make sense to me. How could I be getting blips on two different wires? Is something crossing in-between?

I tried re-wiring both ethernet jacks on the fourth floor with the "A" configuration type, but that didn't make a difference. Do I need to hire an electrician? Am I way over my head on this?

FYI - the modem/router is currently plugged into one of the cables, which goes to my living room and actually connects perfectly fine. I'm just trying to change the wire to the one that goes to the fourth floor, but it doesn't seem to to be working. Any help would be very greatly appreciated.
eyc908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2015, 10:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 766

It doesn't matter what method you use, A or B as long as both ends are the same.

Are you sure the ends are punched down correctly?

Post a pic of your wiring if you can.
AandPDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AandPDan For This Useful Post:
Stubbie (02-08-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2015, 10:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AandPDan View Post
It doesn't matter what method you use, A or B as long as both ends are the same.

Are you sure the ends are punched down correctly?

Post a pic of your wiring if you can.
Do you mean the ordering of the wires? Or the execution (i.e., ensuring proper contact)?

As for ordering, I triple-checked each to ensure that the colors match up. I hope I'm not so inept that I cannot match colors! As for execution, I used the blunt side of a box cutter to push each wire to the very bottom of the cavity, ensuring a satisfying click on each wire. Then, just to be sure, I wiggled them up and down to ensure the shielding was stripped properly, then pushed them down again with the box cutter. Later, when I removed the wires, they were showing exposed wiring.

Unfortunately, I can't provide a picture because I already un-wired lots of it and returned it back to its original state because...well...I had given up in frustration. Today, I thought I'd reach out for some guidance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2015, 10:49 AM   #4
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,970

Purchase a cat5 tester to ensure it is terminated correctly...
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AandPDan View Post
Oh, wait a second. Ok, so, on the patching board with the 6 ethernet ports, are the colors configured in A or B? How do I figure that out?
Old 02-08-2015, 10:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
Purchase a cat5 tester to ensure it is terminated correctly...
Isn't that what the network tester I linked does?
Old 02-08-2015, 10:57 AM   #7
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyc908 View Post
Isn't that what the network tester I linked does?
Yes, T568B is the preferred format, but you need to verify that LEviton uses the same format.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
Yes, T568B is the preferred format, but you need to verify that LEviton uses the same format.
That's really disheartening. You're saying that it's not just a standard system? The fact that the central box is a Leviton has some bearing on whether the cable tester will work? Fffffuuuu. Isn't it just electrical signals through eight little wires? Why on earth does the brand matter?
Old 02-08-2015, 11:10 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 53

The first jack you show is not a Cat5 jack, just a standard telephone jack. They are fine for telephone use but are not recommended for use on networks.

The second jack is a proper Cat jack but Looking at the Leviton breakout module, it states it is setup for 568A so you should wire your jacks following the "A" wiring method on both ends.

If wiring the same method doesn't seem to work, One simple test would be to twist a pair together at one end and check continuity between the two at the other end using a multimeter. Do this for all pairs so that you verify that the wiring is intact.
mlowrie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mlowrie For This Useful Post:
sgip2000 (02-09-2015), stickboy1375 (02-08-2015), Stubbie (02-08-2015)
Old 02-08-2015, 11:14 AM   #10
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyc908 View Post
That's really disheartening. You're saying that it's not just a standard system? The fact that the central box is a Leviton has some bearing on whether the cable tester will work? Fffffuuuu. Isn't it just electrical signals through eight little wires? Why on earth does the brand matter?
Why? you just need to verify you terminate each end the same... not a big deal.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlowrie View Post
The second jack is a proper Cat jack but Looking at the Leviton breakout module, it states it is setup for 568A so you should wire your jacks following the "A" wiring method on both ends.
Out of curiosity, where are you seeing that the leviton module is setup for 568A? Does it say that somewhere? Or is that just based on the order of colors?
Old 02-08-2015, 11:31 AM   #12
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,652

Your tester should work fine. The Leviton termination board will allow you to punch down whatever you want A or B. It may be set up for one or the other but you just have to terminate to the same pins on each end. If all the pins are terminated correctly on each end then the tester when powered will move down the pair numbers in sequence. If a light does not illuminate then that pairing is either incorrect or you don't have a good connection for it to read the continuity. Or you have another issue on the cable run.

Sounds like you do not have any of the cables showing correct with your tester. That would be a little odd. You might try this go to one end and take two wires .. say brown and brown stripe or any pair and twist them together on one end. Now go to the other end and test that pair on the Leviton board for all the cables for continuity with a continuity tester like a DVM. When you find the one that shows continuity then that would be your cable. Your cat cable tester does basically the same thing but this other method will eliminate possible bad connection issues and at least tell you if you have the right cable. Other wise you have another hub where all the cables are not terminated.

Quote:
After doing all this, I can't get a connection! Obviously, I could be dealing with a broken cable or maybe a missing one, but here's the rub: On one of the cables that I test, I get a blip on the network tester for wire 5 and 6. And on another cable, I get a blip on wire 8. That doesn't make sense to me. How could I be getting blips on two different wires? Is something crossing in-between?
Each cable has 4 pairs and of course 8 total wires. You plug the tester into one of the jacks at one end and the other end you plug the tester into a jack on the Leviton board using short patch cables. Turn the tester on and it checks the wires. So if your only getting a few lights to light then the others are not terminated correctly. Or have bad or faulty connections when you punched them down.

Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 02-08-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
Your tester should work fine. The Leviton termination board will allow you to punch down whatever you want A or B. It may be set up for one or the other but you just have to terminate to the same pins on each end. If all the pins are terminated correctly on each end then the tester when powered will move down the pair numbers in sequence. If a light does not illuminate then that pairing is either incorrect or you don't have a good connection for it to read the continuity. Or you have another issue on the cable run.
@Stubbie, thanks so much for the help. I'm going to give it another shot. Question: on the Leviton board, how do I know if I'm connecting my wires by type A or B? It's just 8 slots (blue, orange, green, then brown). On the other hand, the ethernet jack actually says A or B and shows the different color configuration for each.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:45 AM   #14
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,652

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
Wait a minute. Whaaaa? So, if I want to connect the wires to the Leviton board in A-type, I have to go:

green/white
green
orange/white
blue
blue/white
orange
brown/white
brown

This would be completely different than the way the connectors are colored on the Leviton box! The colors are show like this:

blue
orange
green
brown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement