Wiring Cable And Cat5 - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2016, 06:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 26

Wiring Cable and Cat5

I'm working on a complete remodel on a bedroom and am wiring right now. I've never wired coax cable or cat5, but I want to start it in the bedroom and eventually into the living room and the second floor bedroom.

My question is, can I run both next to each other? Also, is having my modem mounted next to my electrical panel going to cause interference problems with my internet? Anybody have a good online reference for basics on the two?

I don't have cable TV, just internet, but I want to have it in the wall so the next owner has the option.

Thanks.

Josh

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk
Radcon91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2016, 07:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18

Re: Wiring Cable and Cat5

From a code standpoint, there's no issue in running the cables together.

However, you can expect to have signal issues in the CAT5 if you run them in parallel with AC power cables. Ideally you would want them to only cross eachother perpendicularly.

I work on industrial controls systems, and we segregate CAT5 and instrumentation wiring from any AC wiring. AC will induce voltage in any nearby conductors, and this can cause interference or signal issues with the CAT5.

Best to separate them if possible.

Last edited by ZackG; 11-27-2016 at 07:58 PM.
ZackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2016, 07:53 PM   #3
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 5,336

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackG View Post
From a code standpoint, there's no issue in running the cables together.

However, you can expect to have signal issues in the CAT5 if you run them in parallel with AC power cables. Ideally you would want them to only cross eachother in parallel.

I work on industrial controls systems, and we segregate CAT5 and instrumentation wiring from any AC wiring. AC will induce voltage in any nearby conductors, and this can cause interference or signal issues with the CAT5.

Best to separate them if possible.
What does "cross each other in parallel" mean?
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2016, 07:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radcon91 View Post
I'm working on a complete remodel on a bedroom and am wiring right now. I've never wired coax cable or cat5, but I want to start it in the bedroom and eventually into the living room and the second floor bedroom.

My question is, can I run both next to each other? Yes. I never had any problems with interference or crossover doing this.

Also, is having my modem mounted next to my electrical panel going to cause interference problems with my internet? Yes, It's possible it may pick up emf interference. I wouldn't recommend it. But again, I never had any problem. Mine is close to my electrical panel, but not next to it.

Anybody have a good online reference for basics on the two? I'm sure there is. Someone will probably site a good link. You can try the famous google search "running cat 5 and coax together", and "modem and electrical panel" , for additional information.

I don't have cable TV, just internet, but I want to have it in the wall so the next owner has the option.

Thanks.

Josh

Good luck in your project josh. Great that you are getting information. Hope you get everything wired and working like you want.

Others will be along with more advice/info..The above info I sited is my opinion only, others may not agree.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:59 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
What does "cross each other in parallel" mean?
Ha. Damn good question. I meant perpendicularly. Just typed too fast. Fixed my post. Thanks.
ZackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:18 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 637

Coaxial cable is shielded, and it should not interfere or get interfered. Note that quality matters: some cables have better shields than others! Usually the thicker is better.
csab_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:21 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 80

Coax and Ethernet won't have issues being together. Like Zack said, keep them away from power as best as possible.

Cheers!
supers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:55 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radcon91 View Post
My question is, can I run both next to each other? Also, is having my modem mounted next to my electrical panel going to cause interference problems with my internet? Anybody have a good online reference for basics on the two?

You wrote " I want to have it in the wall so the next owner has the option."

Since "Cat 5" cable is somewhat "yesterday", the best option which you could provide for the "next owner" (at this stage) is to use Cat 6 cable via a "Patch Panel", of some size or description.
If you do not know what a "Patch Panel" is, I suggest that you "look it up".

Hopefully, a small amount of extra "capital expenditure" (Say, for a "Patch Panel"), could provide a much better "installation".

Perhaps you may consider that which I have written and then, possibly, expand your "installation horizon", by just a little.

Last edited by FrodoOne; 11-28-2016 at 07:06 AM.
FrodoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:51 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 26

Thanks for the info everyone. I do have a follow-up question about the modem proximity to my electrical panel. Being that "close" is a relative term, what would be considered "too close". My panel is mounted to the far right side of a piece of 4x4 ft plywood. If I mounted my patch panel and modem on the far left side would that be far enough? Or would I be best off finding a different spot entirely?

I've done some more research and pretty much decided on using cat6 as suggested.

Thanks again.

Josh

Radcon91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:40 AM   #10
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 18,220

I believe in your original question you were talking about running the coax and CAT together.....no issues doing that.

If you keep the stuff 6" or more away from any AC lines, you will also be fine. The reality is, they could be next to each other and still really wouldn't be an issue. Your AC is 60Hz, the other stuff is MHZ. The only real potential is 60 Hz AC being induced on the shield of coax...but since any good device is going to be transformer coupled, it's not going to be an issue.

If it was me, I'd be running Cat6. It has a slightly heavier gauge of wire and will work better for POE. It also has a slightly higher freq range which makes it a better 'future' choice.

Coax....RG6 You do NOT need quad shield.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement